Welcome, Guest
Introduce Yourself!

TOPIC: Western KY here

Western KY here 22 Dec 2013 10:36 #198

• CDfromKY
  • Wise Old Gardener
  • Good Job(s): 18
I'm a retired R N. Had a wonderful 38 year career. Raised two great sons, one lives in TX another lives in AZ.
Right now it's cold here in W. Kentucky and a lot like the weather where I grew up in SW OK.

I'm now growing things under lights inside to have greenies for me and the layers. I also sprout seeds, the hens love those too. Good source of nutrition in the winter.
Retirement means now I have the time to build the garden I've always wanted.
Looking forward to learning from all the nice like minded people on this site.
Mother Nature is my Teacher
Horses are my loves
And I can become awed
By a pair of Mourning Doves
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Good Job(s) from: DiSanders, Mike_E_OG

Western KY here 22 Dec 2013 12:24 #201

• fmueseler
  • Good Job(s): 1
Sw Okl eh? I retired from UPRR almost two years ago, spent many hours in that area.
fmueseler
Good Job(s) from: CDfromKY

Western KY here 22 Dec 2013 15:35 #205

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
  • Good Job(s): 108
CDfromKY wrote:
I'm a retired R N. Had a wonderful 38 year career. Raised two great sons, one lives in TX another lives in AZ.
Right now it's cold here in W. Kentucky and a lot like the weather where I grew up in SW OK.

I'm now growing things under lights inside to have greenies for me and the layers. I also sprout seeds, the hens love those too. Good source of nutrition in the winter.
Retirement means now I have the time to build the garden I've always wanted.
Looking forward to learning from all the nice like minded people on this site.

Awesome my friend, super happy that you're here with us!!! Have you ever looked into an aquaponic system that you could put in the house or maybe a garage? The only thing it is stop me from doing it on a larger scale is somewhat of a fear of any kind of BPA in plastics.

I know some food grade stuff is BPA free but I just have not wanted to move away from dirt yet:)

I do have a fish barrel they use the water in my garden and it sure is fun watching the fish!
He who has a glass house should not cast stones...

Western KY here 23 Dec 2013 13:14 #209

• CDfromKY
  • Wise Old Gardener
  • Good Job(s): 18
I looked at the aquaponic system on YouTube videos and it looks great. I am somewhat limited in what I can do financially. I have a small pond made from a stock tank my sis gave me. I had one fish but the poor thing got caught between two plants and died! (:o( But watching those videos gave ma an idea on how to use the pond water during dry periods. I had put some leaves in my rain barrel for nutrients and The plants I use this water on just grew like crazy. I'm doing the same with my little pond. Have a frog pond in front of it and it is full of leaves also. Made that from an inside fountain lining I found in an alley! My gutters are full of old leaves and the water in my rain barrel is all I use to water my house plants. Even the African Violet which is a nutrient hog is blooming more and growing like crazy!
Mother Nature is my Teacher
Horses are my loves
And I can become awed
By a pair of Mourning Doves

Western KY here 23 Dec 2013 14:00 #210

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
  • Good Job(s): 108
Have you seen my fish barrel? Is that the one you are talking about that you have watched on youtube:)

By the way, I changed the "mail" icon in our private message system so you can tell if it is new messages of not. I am getting your messages.
He who has a glass house should not cast stones...
Good Job(s) from: CDfromKY
  • Page:

Moderators: MKK-FARMS