Welcome, Guest
Introduce Yourself!

TOPIC: Hi from Eastern AZ, off the grid

Hi from Eastern AZ, off the grid 14 Jun 2014 14:52 #1577

I'm new and just want to say hello.
I'm in Eastern AZ near the NM border. I live on 40 acres of sand and Juniper trees and have no city services at all. We are 30 miles from the nearest gas station, or church; and 75 miles from the nearest Walmart or Home Depot.
I try to grow a garden every year and I have a few chickens. I just built my second chicken coop this last winter out of mostly scrap and cull wood.

My raised hutch is 4'x4' and the coop is 12'x12'. I built it solo, using a tape measure, circular saw, drill with drill bit and screw bit, and some "oops" paint. We're never to old to learn something new.
Over the mild winter we had, I also put together some planter boxes for my garden area.

So far my peas are doing well this year. Last year the rodents got my peas and beans.

I wanted to have a lot of peppers this year so I could dehydrate them, but they aren't doing well at all. The tomato and bean plants look good so I should be able to do some canning this year if they produce well.
I spend a lot of time out at my new coop that I call "My Place" with my new chicks.

I gave them some cantaloupe today.
Happy farming everyone.
Cheryl the off grid hermit
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Good Job(s) from: alex1230

Hi from Eastern AZ, off the grid 14 Jun 2014 17:45 #1579

• Panda
  • Expert Member
  • Good Job(s): 41
WOW you are truly off the grid.
I have never had luck with peppers but this year we are trying to grow them in a greenhouse.
Looks like you have some beautiful sussex chickens. I would love to see your coop and some pictures of your place.
Welcome to the page and hope you have fun looking around at what others have been sharing.
Come to my garden and sit with me...
Among the flowers and honey bees...

Hi from Eastern AZ, off the grid 14 Jun 2014 19:08 #1582

Not sure how to post pictures. I get fatal error when I try.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10201512995721969.1073741829.1088864567&type=1&l=cc38320fe2

Hi from Eastern AZ, off the grid 14 Jun 2014 21:09 #1585

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
  • Good Job(s): 108
Hi Cheryl:) I am Matt and I started all these madness. From the facebook page, group, youtube channel, twitter account, all the way to this website!

I used to live in a place where we had to drive to the mail box so I know how you feel living way out:)

I am wanting to build a new chicken coop with roll out nest boxes but I just have not had the time. Soon, soon... Do you have plans for your coops or did you wing it?

I sent you a private message (Your inbox is under our social media buttons on the upper right of this page.) that lays out how to post to our forum and article sections:)
He who has a glass house should not cast stones...

Hi from Eastern AZ, off the grid 14 Jun 2014 21:18 #1587

I drew up plans and changed them time and time again, so guess I just winged it and built with what I could scrape together. Were you able to see my FB pictures?

Hi from Eastern AZ, off the grid 14 Jun 2014 21:33 #1588

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
  • Good Job(s): 108
That's cool:) Yes I did see them, looks great! Maybe download them to your desktop and upload them to the site so all members can see them?

The private message should help you with the forum and article area:)
He who has a glass house should not cast stones...
  • Page:

Moderators: MKK-FARMS