Welcome, Guest
Introduce Yourself!

TOPIC: New Member

New Member 17 May 2014 19:16 #1260

• Clutch
  • Person of many hats
Hello All

New member here from Texas (but no Texas accent- sorry) Lived in way too many places here in America as well as Europe. New farmer as well. We have been running a farm for over a year now. Started few years ago with ducks and rabbits and finally moved to some land and have beef and dairy cattle (Still young) sheep and goats as well as chickens, turkeys, geese, ducks. Hope to learn much more by doing and discussing
The administrator has disabled public write access.

New Member 17 May 2014 19:36 #1261

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
  • Good Job(s): 108
Right on Clutch:) Happy to have you here with us! I will be adding a Livestock area so we can cover more then just chickens but for now we have a chicken area.

I also have a rabbit and they are great at breaking down some veggie scraps like corn stocks and turning them into little fertilizer balls for my garden. Do you use all your manures?

As you learn or you have questions post them along with photos so we can see all you do on your farm!!

Matt
He who has a glass house should not cast stones...

New Member 18 May 2014 06:30 #1265

• Clutch
  • Person of many hats
For our cattle and goats we let it lay in the fields and that is what we use for fertilizer for the grass. Best in the world- Our goal is to not use any fertilizer, antibiotics,etc.... so we do alot naturally. For the chicken waste, we clean their hoop houses (where they lay their eggs and stay the nights) and that litter goes into our composting bins along with any scrap veggies that the animals will not eat.

New Member 18 May 2014 07:57 #1267

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
I hear pigs are good for turning the cow patties to help the compost process. Sounds like you have the good life there on your homestead:) Don't make us wait to long to see it;)

New Member 18 May 2014 07:58 #1268

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
Do the wife and kids love it? Is there on board you styling;)

New Member 18 May 2014 21:17 #1269

• MKK-FARMS
  • Good Job(s): 10
Clutch wrote:
Hello All

New member here from Texas (but no Texas accent- sorry) Lived in way too many places here in America as well as Europe. New farmer as well. We have been running a farm for over a year now. Started few years ago with ducks and rabbits and finally moved to some land and have beef and dairy cattle (Still young) sheep and goats as well as chickens, turkeys, geese, ducks. Hope to learn much more by doing and discussing

Welcome to HFI! :cheer:

New Member 19 May 2014 07:28 #1271

• Clutch
  • Person of many hats
Wife and kids love it. We homeschool 2 out of the 3 kids (oldest is in college) and that is part of their learning. I'll post some pics at lunch. Meanwhile- those who have FB can check out our page www.facebook.com/EvansHomestead or website evansbradleyj.wix.com/evans-homestead for more info/pics

New Member 22 May 2014 08:38 #1287

• Dona
  • Mrs
Thanks for the invite to join! I look forward to learning & sharing here. At present, we have 34 hens & 5 roosters. Just in the last 2 weeks or so, the roosters have started attacking 3 of our ladies. They will find out Saturday that there is a hefty price to pay for trying to kill out Ladies :angry:
~Dona
Proud Marine Mom, Poly wife & Modern Day Hippie

New Member 22 May 2014 13:15 #1288

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
Welcome Dona!! Ha ha ha!! You don't mess with the egg layers ;) I have 3 girls and I just think there the best! They give me eggs, clean up scraps, take care of pest, and give me the best fertilizer!

Share your girls on our chicken forum so we can all see them!

New Member 22 May 2014 14:53 #1289

greetings to all, finally enjoying some nice weather here where I live in Canada. I spent the last week getting the garden planted doing some different stuff this year was a bit more time consuming. Looking forward to mushroom harvesting soon I planted oyster, turkey tail and reshi mushrooms in Birch logs they produce for a number of years. I believe gourmet mushrooms are wonderful and so good for people and the planet I hope to try many different varieties and methods of producing them over the next few years
Last Edit: 22 May 2014 14:53 by goldencompass_526.
Good Job(s) from: HBLovely49
  • Page:

Moderators: MKK-FARMS