Welcome, Guest
Introduce Yourself!

TOPIC: INTRO!!

INTRO!! 17 Feb 2014 01:24 #1011

• CoraLackey
  • chickenlady
Hey all!! I was invited over after checking out the fodder video. I live in western NC and I'm just starting my chick "biz". I bought my first coop and hens last fall, with the soul intention of taking another step to creating a healthier life for my family and myself. I had no idea how addicting this would be!! I absolutely LOVE my girls, 5 Red Sex & 4 RIR's until tomorrow...I'm fixing to add 15 more girls. One good thing is none of my girls now are broody by any means and did great when I added the RIR's. I'll go through the intro process for a couple days and see how they do. I surprised my girls today when I brought my 4 week old Rouen ducklings out to the coop with them!! I'm pretty sure they were more afraid of their little beaks than the ducks were of the hens! lol The layers I'm bringing in tomorrow are Delawares, Barred Rocks, and more Red Sex Links. I have another bigger coop coming in about a week that should accommodate my chicken chaos I've created...so most of it will be my good layers, all hens and I'll name it "The Egg Plant".On the other end will be my enclosed coop for my show chicks (still working on a name...I'll take idea's!!)which currently includes 2 white crested Polish, Penelope & Tomco...2 white silkies, Liza-Mae & Cinderella...1 splash Silkie roo, Vee...a white laced Polish roo (no name yet), and a white sultan roo (no name yet). I also have a couple blue & black Orps that I MAY be showing...we'll have to see how over loaded I am since this is all new to me. Oh, I'm not done yet ya'll lol I also have 6 Easter Eggers about 4 weeks old with one roo out of the 6. I figure I'll keep him and at 2 hens in my current coop which will now be "The Love Shack"...for my breeders. Finally, I have 1 RIR roo (around 3 weeks old) and 5 RIR hens about a week old, 1 Splash Orp (3 wks), 1 roo Ameracauna & 9 hens(3wks), 6 Black Sex Links (3 wks), 5 Black Jersey Giants (3 wks), 4 Buff Orps/ 1roo (1 wk), and Australorps (1 wk). So yes. I have turned into the crazy chicken lady!!! But they're all so spoiled and I'm really trying to keep three focal points; the layers for local stores, farmers market, personal orders & delivery; the show birds who will strictly be for show and breeding, and I will also have certain ones that I continue to breed such as the EE's, Orp's,RIR's,etc. I have a few more that will be coming soon but I'm keeping those a secret!! I'm really excited about them but they just went into the incubator so I don't dare say anything until I see feathers! :) So, in a nutshell...that's my farm life. I am very strict as far as what I feed my chickens, I do fodder whole wheat...which I'll post the whole process in the next week or so. I'll get a tray started so ya'll can see from start to finish. I use it as a supplement for my birds, which turns out to be really cost effective when they're eating more of the fodder than they are the feeding on crumble alone. I also keep a compost pale and make sure they get their snacks at least every other day. On the colder spurts we've had this winter I usually brew up a big tub of warm oatmeal..which is hilarious to watch them look at you with white smooshy beaks! lol On top of my chickens I also have 3 kiddo's, my 15 year old Godsent, Haylea. I have no idea what I'd do without that girl!! I also have my 16 month old twins; Adeline Sophia & my little redheaded Wyatt!! Yup, big surprise! We are incredibly simple homesteaders who love to get dirty, eat from the garden, drink from the hose, feed every stray animal in the county and do as much as possible to be self reliant. That's our biggest goal, with my chickens being my awesome hobby!! So that is my long winded intro, I look forward to meeting everyone and finding out all of your deep dark homesteading secrets!! :whistle:
Cora Lackey
The administrator has disabled public write access.

INTRO!! 17 Feb 2014 23:50 #1014

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
  • Good Job(s): 108
Hi Cora!!

I am the one that made the fodder video. I made about 4 now and I will keep making them for a time. I am posting a new video on how my chickens and rabbits loves the fodder because I finally gave them some:)

Funny how such awesome things can come about when you choose to give your family a healthier lifestyle!! I also have chickens, a crazy garden, and ideas seem to pour out of me in regards to homesteading because I wanted to give my kids and my wife's a healthier lifestyle and I personally needed peace in my life! I am a Christian that loves people and that has been put into me by my creator!

I did a video on why I started home farm ideas and how it all came about here!!

I know I speak for everyone when I say we really want to see all your girls and if there is ever any issues please post right away!

I see that you're going to be getting some Bard rocks and I can speak from experience with those chickens. They sure are sweet:) I have one that is named ninja and she actually has a feather cow lick on the top of her head! I love that because it is unique.

Great name for your new coop by the way! "The Egg Plant" Maybe you can add a PVC chicken feeder and incorporated into the back of your coop making sure to paint it to look like a smokestack;)

You know what the good thing about being a crazy chicken lady on this website is? There are men that sink just like you;) Ha ha ha!!

I love that you have kids and that they will be learning all these things that will change their lives! I'm with you and so are the rest of us here! We are happy you joined the Darkside, we have cookies:)

Admin Matt
He who has a glass house should not cast stones...

INTRO!! 17 Feb 2014 23:58 #1015

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
  • Good Job(s): 108
I am assuming you have read through the welcome page? If not check it out here and really think about writing Articles for our website:) Like growing fodder! The welcome page talks about the article area on our site.

Welcome page...
Article section...

If you have questions let me know:)
He who has a glass house should not cast stones...

INTRO!! 18 Feb 2014 16:18 #1024

• Panda
  • Expert Member
  • Good Job(s): 41
Cora, We love pictures so please share!
looking forward to seeing pictures and post from you. :side:
Come to my garden and sit with me...
Among the flowers and honey bees...
  • Page:

Moderators: MKK-FARMS