Welcome, Guest
Introduce Yourself!

TOPIC: Hello from Tasmania, Australia.

Hello from Tasmania, Australia. 12 Jan 2014 13:38 #626

• RamblingSAHM
  • Mrs.
  • Good Job(s): 1
HI all,
Well I have FINALLY gotten around to introducing myself, it has been a very hectic couple of weeks here. My name is Julieanne and I live with my family on 27 acres on the side of a mountain in Tasmania, Australia. (Antarctica is just below us). We moved here 7 years ago from Darwin, Northern Territory, Australia as we were inspired by Hugh Fernleigh-Whittinstall's River Cottage series to grow our own. Unfortunately, I married a man who loves mountains (he is born and bred in L.A, California but loves the High Seirras and San Bernardino mountains), which means when he saw our property he fell in love with it. It just means that we have to terrace our gardens and livestock options are greatly diminished, (we already have chickens but looking at getting some goats and then venturing into pigs).
Our climate is pretty unpredictable the saying is 'four seasons in one day' and it is very true but it is great place to live. Luckily our State is marketing itself on its gourmet agriculture production to the rest of the world so there is a firm stance atm AGAINST letting Monsanto into our State (Tasmania is an island State - and we have our own customs so even domestic travelers still have to go through customs to enter our State). They keep rearing their ugly heads but we keep putting the big boot up their rear end - I am just hoping that it stays this way, if our government even thinks about letting them in we will be out their with our placards telling them to sod off!
As it is summer here we currently have in the ground tomatoes, rhubarb, potatoes, corn and cabbage. Until hubby gets around to building the raised terraced beds that is all we can fit but it is better than nothing.

On a personal note, I am a SAHM to three kiddies and I am studying full time to become a secondary school teacher, I finished my BA in Arts with a double major in History and English last year and this year I commence my two year Masters of Teaching so it is going to be one very busy year!

Look forward to 'meeting' everyone.

TTFN Julz
To see the rainbow you first have to experience the rain.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Good Job(s) from: CDfromKY

Hello from Tasmania, Australia. 12 Jan 2014 19:22 #636

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
  • Good Job(s): 108
Awesome!! Obviously welcome to our new site:)

Any photos of anything going on when you're land? We would love to see the corn and everything! I know, pretty pathetic but that's just us! Ha ha ha:)
He who has a glass house should not cast stones...

Hello from Tasmania, Australia. 27 Jan 2014 14:17 #881

• RamblingSAHM
  • Mrs.
  • Good Job(s): 1
Will do as soon as soon as I can Matt, I don't think the corn is going to be successful this year. :-( we only have 3 plants left and they are VERY small. They do have ears on them though but only time will tell. Our potatoes seem to be doing really well. I don't think it will be long until the stalks die and then we can have some baby spuds (Aussie for potatoes) for our potato salad. (I make a pretty mean potato salad even if I do say so myself). Oh and our tomatoes are doing really well BUT they have been green for so long. I'm going to post a question in the veggie section about them.
To see the rainbow you first have to experience the rain.

Hello from Tasmania, Australia. 27 Jan 2014 17:04 #888

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
  • Good Job(s): 108
Thanks!! Now I am starving:)
He who has a glass house should not cast stones...

Hello from Tasmania, Australia. 29 Jan 2014 08:15 #930

• CDfromKY
  • Wise Old Gardener
  • Good Job(s): 18
What is your altitude there? That might have an effect on your garden growth. Looking forward to seeing your terraced garden beds!
2003-2008 I lived in northern AZ at altitude 6000 feet and I had better luck there than I have here in western KY at sea level! Good luck in your future and your educational endeavors are awesome!!
Mother Nature is my Teacher
Horses are my loves
And I can become awed
By a pair of Mourning Doves
  • Page:

Moderators: MKK-FARMS