Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Natural Citrus 'n' Spice Cleaner

Natural Citrus 'n' Spice Cleaner 23 Jan 2014 10:05 #850

citrus-n-spice_cleaner.jpg

Like a lot of people these days, I'm allergic to the standard household cleaners. The unnatural fragrances will trigger a migraine that has me hiding under the covers with earplugs in. As I'd seen a number of natural cleaners out on the web so I tried my hand at making my own;This is what I came up with.

You can change out the citrus & spice to suit your own nose. Orange & cloves; Lime & a few drops of rosemary essential oil; Lemon & cinnamon; it's up to you =)The more citrus peel & spice you use, the less vinegary smell you have. I found that Ocean State Job Lots & The Christmas Tree Shop have jars of clove & cinnamon sticks for under $1 - perfect for using in this recipe! If you don't have these stores near you, try one of the dollar stores.

I have a fairly big clamp style jar that holds about 1 quart of liquid. I simply peeled a lime leftover from New Year's; a couple oranges and a grapefruit; tossed them into the jar; added a cup or so of whole cloves and a couple cinnamon sticks, cracked up a bit. Then I poured white vinegar over to cover and stuck it under my kitchen sink for a month.

After it had "aged" for a few weeks; I pulled it out and strained the liquid into a spray bottle. It worked fabulous on the greasy exhaust fan hood & stovetop; gets my counters super clean and everything smells fabulous!

Gallon of white vinegar $2.39; used about 1/4 so that's .80
1 lime - .25
2 oranges - 1.00
1 grapefruit - .99
1/2 (1.75oz) jar cloves - .45
2 cinnamon sticks - .20

That yields about a quart of all natural cleaner for $3.39!
You can add some *GSE (grapefruit seed extract) for antimicrobial properties as well. I use that diluted in water to clean my fruits & veggies that I can't grow myself to be sure they're completely clean.

*Read more about GSE here: www.livestrong.com/article/127592-grapefruit-seed-extract-uses/

and here: www.naturallysafecleaning.com/gse.aspx
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Good Job(s) from: HFI_Matt, CDfromKY, gramdonner1

Natural Citrus 'n' Spice Cleaner 23 Jan 2014 13:31 #855

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
  • Good Job(s): 108
This is awesome:) I know more and more people's bodies are reacting to cleaners and I am just thankful they are. Know what I mean? :woohoo:

Without those reactions we may not know for many years that we are being poisoned.

Maybe post it on the site as an article? Read about the article section HERE!

Admin Matt
He who has a glass house should not cast stones...
The administrator has disabled public write access.
  • Page:

Moderators: MKK-FARMS