Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Chicken needs sunscreen and our chickens need more

Chicken needs sunscreen and our chickens need more 09 Jul 2014 20:44 #1989

• gypsyrain
  • Wife, Mother, Daughter of God, AKA Gypsy Rain
  • Good Job(s): 1
Okay, I am still waiting for hubby to upload all the pics, but I have a question again.

Our broody mama that hatched out 11 chicks has a bare back and bare wing shoulders. (Both of our White Leghorns have lost a lot of feathers and not growing them back since last winter...) Anyway, mama spends the whole day out in the sun teaching the babies to scratch and forage for food. Problem is, her shoulders are turning red and her back is starting to look like we have a living roasted hen. Can we use sunblock on her? If so, what kind? If not, what can we do to help this poor baby out? I know it is painful because she pulls back any time we touch that area and the chicks love to climb on her back and she is always obliging, even giving them little piggy back rides from time to time.

Once we get past the current issue and get rid of our roo this weekend (yay!!), we will have to deal with the issue f all the missing feathers. Our other White Leghorn is missing about half her feathers as well, only hers are missing from the back, wing shoulders and from her vent down to her breast bone. I guess that would be more than half, but you get the picture. Our Barred Plymouth Rock, Buff Orpington and Red Sex Link are faring much better, only missing those in the saddle area from where the roo tore them up until I could get saddle aprons ordered. (The roo hates those, btw, and actually took the apron off of of Sex Link recently!!)

We have been trying to increase protein intake, but are not seeing any improvement in feathers. Nothing is coming back, or in the case of the mama - the ones that came back seem to be broken off an inch from the skin. Do you know a way we can help these girls get their feathers back? Should we force a molt? If so, when do you think would be the best time?

I think that's it for tonight. I appreciate the responses I get from everyone. God Bless!
~Mistie
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Chicken needs sunscreen and our chickens need more 10 Jul 2014 02:21 #1993

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
  • Good Job(s): 108
Well, sunblock could work but some sort of covering will work tell she starts to feather again.

Since feathers are made of protein I would say pack on the protein for her and I bet you see her start to feather:)

For a time try kitten food but make sure to look at the protein content. You are looking for something that is high in protein. Meat scraps will help as well!

Hope that helps my friend! May the good Lord bless you as well!
He who has a glass house should not cast stones...
The administrator has disabled public write access.
  • Page:

Moderators: MKK-FARMS