Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Heat Stress

Heat Stress 18 Jun 2014 17:19 #1663

• freakykate
  • Good Job(s): 1
So, with the heat really starting to get up there the past few days! I have noticed I have had some birds panting and acting stressed with the heat. :( I have tried many different measures to try to help this, leaving coop opened to get breeze through, fan, ice in the waterer's and electrolytes for the really stressed girls. I have debated do a tiny baby pool with water for them, however, I can hardly get them out of the coop as it is, and Im not sure if they would even use it. Anyone have any other suggestions to try to help them beat the heat. OH! I have even frozen treats and offered them throughout the day. I'm kinda at a loss as to what else I could possibly do to make them more comfortable.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Heat Stress 19 Jun 2014 00:44 #1668

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
  • Good Job(s): 108
Just make sure that there waterer has a bunch of ice in it and one thing my wife and I do is we hose off all the ground around them:) There is a tree that hangs over our coop and so we spray the leaves really good to let water drip down overtime.

How about cutting and watermelon half and putting both hands in the freezer. Then just put it outside and as they needed or they eat it will cool off:)

You can also put an old blanket or towels over the top of the run and wet it down.

Wetting them down is another option if it gets too hot.

I really like this guys idea because the brick does soak up water and it stays cool! This will also work inside their coop:)

He who has a glass house should not cast stones...

Heat Stress 19 Jun 2014 06:36 #1671

• freakykate
  • Good Job(s): 1
I drug the hose out this morning and sprayed the roof on the coop. Read somewhere about it helping too! Seems like they are doing a lot better already today! No one is panting, and it should be cooler today! *THANK GOODNESS* I did put ice in EVERYTHING. hahahaah I even gave them a bowl just full of ice and a lot of them were enjoying that. I think I will hose out the inside of the coop today to help keep it cooler too. The things we do for our chickens......

Oh! And I love the watermelon idea too!

Heat Stress 19 Jun 2014 10:22 #1674

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
They are spoiled for sure! Try that brick thing:) Look around your house and see if you have any bricks. Any kind will do really.

Happy chickens give us more (eggs)(eggs)(eggs)(eggs)(eggs)
Last Edit: 19 Jun 2014 10:23 by HFI_Matt.

Heat Stress 26 Jun 2014 19:31 #1774

• CDfromKY
  • Wise Old Gardener
  • Good Job(s): 18
One thing you do not want to do is wet down your hens. Unless the humidity is very low that water combined with their body heat will act just as if they were in a sauna. This might work in AZ where the humidity is always low, except during the Monsoon!

When I see mine raising their wings and panting I spray their pen just enough to wet it a bit. They dig in it and fling the cool dirt up on their bodies and have a scratching good time. My pen area has lots of big trees but during one part of the day the sun shines right in there. They have lots of shady areas to go to though.
Mother Nature is my Teacher
Horses are my loves
And I can become awed
By a pair of Mourning Doves

Heat Stress 26 Jun 2014 20:34 #1778

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
Thanks CD:) I love all that wisdom my friend!
  • Page:

Moderators: MKK-FARMS