Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Are antibiotics necessary?

Are antibiotics necessary? 16 Feb 2014 09:23 #1004

I have a question for all my chicken keeping peeps. Is it necessary to give chicks an antibiotic shot when they are young for Coccidiosis?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Are antibiotics necessary? 16 Feb 2014 22:13 #1009

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
  • Good Job(s): 108
I never gave my girls anything but I however expose them to soil and bugs when they where about a month old so they would build up immunities and that seemed to do the trick. I raise my chickens totally organic so shots for them was out of the question:)

To give them some immunity boost you can give them organic yogurt.

The trick to keeping your chickens nice and healthy you need to keep there water very clean and there food. I put together a water system to water them using chicken water nipples:) They would great for keeping the water very clean!

See the article I wrote for the water nipples HERE! B)

I built a PVC feeder as well!

I hope that helps!

Admin Matt
He who has a glass house should not cast stones...

Are antibiotics necessary? 18 Feb 2014 18:12 #1027

• cindy_4797
  • Chicken Mom
  • Good Job(s): 4
I stay away from anything that has to do with medication. I think that in hatcheries they are required to do that for "precautions"? <NOT SURE But Since I hatch my own babies out, I just give them some Poly Vi Sol for the first week after they hatch (WITHOUT IRON) and then when they are about two to three weeks old, I start introducing them to chopped garlic. Not only is it a natural dewormer, It is an immune builder as well. If you think about the chicks being raised by the mother, they eat dirt and all kinds of things, That is where they could possibly catch the coccidiosis from the garlic will help you build against that when you put them outside for the first time at the age of six weeks. (or however long you keep them inside) Also, if you introduce Oregano, Tumeric, Black Pepper, Ginger and Cinnamon to them, you are on your way to a good start for preventing ailments .. I add those ingredients to scrambled eggs along with some Cayenne pepper for the laying hens.. Good luck !
Cindy Jack Beard Jr.

Are antibiotics necessary? 18 Feb 2014 23:19 #1032

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
  • Good Job(s): 108
Give them some crushed pumpkin seeds as well to help with deworming your chicks:)
He who has a glass house should not cast stones...
  • Page:

Moderators: MKK-FARMS