Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Guppy fertilizer!

Guppy fertilizer! 01 Jan 2014 11:38 #411

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
  • Good Job(s): 108
Don't let the name of this topic fool you. I am not grinding up guppies to put in my garden, I am simply using their manure that has been broken down into the water to pour onto my plants.

image_2014-01-01-2.jpg

In fish tanks you have to do a water change once a month once the tank is established, so to me it was a good idea to use the water from the fish barrel I have in my backyard. I also really like guppies and this barrel was kind of like an entertainment/fertilizer area:)

The barrel can be hooked up to my drip lines that go through my garden as well so I can spread this fish water all along my garden to the roots of my plants.

I have gotten some pretty good results using this water!

Here's a little video I did of my fish barrel and me using the water on my green beans... I do have more videos on guppy fertilizer that you can watch on my YouTube channel:) Let me know what you guys think of this idea.

He who has a glass house should not cast stones...
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Good Job(s) from: CDfromKY

Guppy fertilizer! 02 Jan 2014 12:36 #425

• CDfromKY
  • Wise Old Gardener
  • Good Job(s): 18
What do you do with it during cool weather?
Mother Nature is my Teacher
Horses are my loves
And I can become awed
By a pair of Mourning Doves

Guppy fertilizer! 02 Jan 2014 13:28 #429

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
CDfromKY wrote:
What do you do with it during cool weather?

Well, I do live in sunny California where it rarely drops too cold for these fish:) I actually bought a tank heater and put it inside the barrel and it keeps them nice and toasty over winter. I know, not very sustainable but it's kind of a nice little water feature to look at so I keep them warm.

Guppy fertilizer! 02 Jan 2014 19:23 #439

• AdminEric
  • "Chickenman" or "Palletman"
  • Expert Member
  • Good Job(s): 26
CD, I live where it's cold too. When it warms up, I am SO going to do this! Looks easy enough, what could go wrong? :woohoo:

Guppy fertilizer! 02 Jan 2014 20:03 #443

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
AdminEric wrote:
CD, I live where it's cold too. When it warms up, I am SO going to do this! Looks easy enough, what could go wrong? :woohoo:

Sure has been fun to have around and watch and the water comes in handy for my garden too:)

Guppy fertilizer! 05 Jan 2014 03:57 #490

• CDfromKY
  • Wise Old Gardener
  • Good Job(s): 18
Guppies are very hardy aren't they? Do you have to adjust the Ph very often, or at all? I have made a pond with a stock tank, it has a fountain that runs 24* a day. Do you think guppies would live it it? I know I'd have to bring them inside in the winter. I probably would have to put in a water heater, also. I have water plants in it and last summer I had so many water hyacinths I gave some to my sis for her pond. It's mostly filled with rainwater. I only put city water in it when the rains don't come. It's the neighborhood bird watering hole and beside it I have installed a frog pond. What do you think? I would appreciate suggestions from all.
Mother Nature is my Teacher
Horses are my loves
And I can become awed
By a pair of Mourning Doves

Guppy fertilizer! 05 Jan 2014 07:28 #494

• AdminEric
  • Expert Member
I'm not sure how cold hardy guppies are, but a quick Google search states that they like it fairly warm. Could get some die off into the 40 and lower. A heater may be in order (or a more cold tolerand fish).

I'd like to see a picture of this pond. Sounds wonderful!

Guppy fertilizer! 05 Jan 2014 07:51 #498

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
CDfromKY wrote:
Guppies are very hardy aren't they? Do you have to adjust the Ph very often, or at all? I have made a pond with a stock tank, it has a fountain that runs 24* a day. Do you think guppies would live it it? I know I'd have to bring them inside in the winter. I probably would have to put in a water heater, also. I have water plants in it and last summer I had so many water hyacinths I gave some to my sis for her pond. It's mostly filled with rainwater. I only put city water in it when the rains don't come. It's the neighborhood bird watering hole and beside it I have installed a frog pond. What do you think? I would appreciate suggestions from all.

Well, guppies are one of the cheapest fish you can buy, and yet and one of the heartiest:) Go to the fish store and all of the times you can find the guppies as feeder fish. Just get a scoop of them (about 10) and see how they do.

Either guppies or goldfish are very hardy. Goldfish can stand really cold temperatures but there is a point where they can't take it anymore and they die.

I want to see the pond:)

Guppy fertilizer! 05 Jan 2014 07:55 #499

• AdminEric
  • Expert Member
I was thinking feeder goldfish too. When it warms up, I will get some of both to see how they do.

Guppy fertilizer! 05 Jan 2014 08:01 #502

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
AdminEric wrote:
I was thinking feeder goldfish too. When it warms up, I will get some of both to see how they do.

I've seen goldfish that live under ice covered ponds! Not only that, they produce a fair amount of waste that is great for the garden:)

Eric, I know you live in an area that is really cold during the winter and if CD's weather is that cold you guys may want to consider getting a fish tank heater that is rated for double the amount of water that you would have in your pond or your barrel. Just in case:) All fish tank heaters come with an adjustable water temperature knob.
  • Page:

Moderators: MKK-FARMS