Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Composting with rabbit/guinea pig manure

Composting with rabbit/guinea pig manure 20 Dec 2013 19:44 #162

• moirakris
  • Good Job(s): 3
does rabbit/guinea pig manure need to be aged? From what I read I should be able to take my guinea pig "pellets" and save them and just soak them in water and make a compost "tea" to feed my garden plants come spring. Rabbits and guinea pigs have the same diet except rabbit create their own vit C and guinea pigs dont (and need it in fortified in their food) but their poo is the same
~Christine~

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. - Marcus Tullius Cicero
Last Edit: 20 Dec 2013 19:46 by moirakris.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Composting with rabbit/guinea pig manure 20 Dec 2013 20:52 #168

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
  • Good Job(s): 108
moirakris wrote:
does rabbit/guinea pig manure need to be aged? From what I read I should be able to take my guinea pig "pellets" and save them and just soak them in water and make a compost "tea" to feed my garden plants come spring. Rabbits and guinea pigs have the same diet except rabbit create their own vit C and guinea pigs dont (and need it in fortified in their food) but their poo is the same

I am not sure of guinea pig manure having to be composted but rabbit manure is a "cold" manure and can be used fresh from the "factory" so to speak;) Cold manure just means that you do not have to compost it. Now the process of composting kills seeds and therein it kills weed seeds. The way I avoid getting weed seeds in my garden is I do not feed my rabbit weeds that often.

I did a video some time back on rabbit manure but I do not know how helpful it will be.

Rabbit manure is one of the highest in nitrogen and it comes in pellet form:) It breaks down over time, therein avoiding the burning of your plants by overdoing nitrogen.

You can also apply it in one of these two ways.
  • You can take scoops of the palettes and sprinkle them around the base of your plants. (This way makes them break down slowly.)

• You can dig holes down by the roots and fill them with the rabbit manure. (This way makes them break down quickly.)

Like always God Bless!!
He who has a glass house should not cast stones...
Last Edit: 20 Dec 2013 20:54 by HFI_Matt.

Composting with rabbit/guinea pig manure 20 Dec 2013 22:30 #173

• moirakris
  • Good Job(s): 3
very helpful TY! like I mentioned the only difference is guinea pigs cannot produce vit C like rabbits can so they need a small supplement each day, but otherwise their diet is entirely the same, so their droppings are the same. This is great now I know I can use my indoor pets "waste" to help grow my deck garden this spring
~Christine~

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. - Marcus Tullius Cicero

Composting with rabbit/guinea pig manure 20 Dec 2013 22:41 #174

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
  • Good Job(s): 108
That's great news:) There bedding is normally wood shavings and can also go into the garden.

I am going to move this topic to Fertilizers. Seems to fit there better then Composting.
He who has a glass house should not cast stones...
  • Page:

Moderators: MKK-FARMS