Welcome, Guest
We are looking to build a large (easy to access) library on everything from keeping chickens, organic gardening, aquaponics, to preserving all the foods we produce. So please consider writing articles for all our members to enjoy!

Post an article HERE!

TOPIC: Crappie!

Crappie! 18 Jun 2014 05:20 #1650

• Brando13
  • Good Job(s): 13
Hey guys and gals,

I've been pondering a thought in the past year or so and here lately curiosity has once again forced me to dig a little deeper. Can you raise crappie at home in a aquaponics system efficently to justify the cost? Or would there be cost once established? Raise your own minnows for food, and algae for the minnows?

Im a noob with aquaponics, but I love cycles, wierd I know but so many things in life are on a cycle that constantly repeats itself even when intervened by the human touch. And aquaponics as you know is the cycle of life, and from what I've read can, with little effort, sustain itself.

It started with a a sticker on the ole wagoneer its a crappie sticker, "I love to fish for crappie, its a strategic game that you have to think one step ahead" and gps helps too lol. But I constantly get ask if I sell crappie, as usual I say no its illegal but I can show you a few tricks I picked up to reel em' in. Now I don't want to sell them, just raise them to be literally the coolet guy at get togethers, who doesn't like the guy that brought fresh fried crappie right!

As usual I ramble too much, but if you have some insight or discuss the possibilities im open ears.
THINK, DESIGN AND BUILD!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Crappie! 18 Jun 2014 15:54 #1657

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
  • Good Job(s): 108
I have seen a few aquaponic systems that have crappie in them:) This dude has hybrid and black in barrels. I have a tank kind of like this guys but I have goldfish and guppies just for the fertilizer. It's fun to watch too!

He who has a glass house should not cast stones...

Crappie! 20 Jun 2014 02:43 #1681

• Brando13
  • Good Job(s): 13
Sweet, I vegged out for 3 hrs last night watching these ha! I think I watch more youtube videos and instructables more than t.v. but I did notice they put another season of longmire on netflix, can't wait to ruin a day by staying up all night blasting through the whole season lol...

With your goldfish and guppies, hows the maintenance? Once you get the hang of it, it doesn't seem very hard at all. I need to finish up on a couple project's before I venture into this but I really want to try it.

My dream is to have a natural pool with crazy stream in my backyard, which would be multipurpose. Those are probally the coolest thing landscape wise I've seen in a while.
THINK, DESIGN AND BUILD!

Crappie! 21 Jun 2014 06:53 #1693

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
I'm moving my brother and mother today but I made a video on the maintenance of this fish barrel I have. When I'm done moving them I will upload it to YouTube and post it here:)

Natural pools are definitely awesome! Check this one out!

Crappie! 22 Jun 2014 00:03 #1706

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
Hey bro:)

Sorry I did not get this video done sooner but I have to move my mom and brother to there new place closer to my family. I am beat!

This is how I take care of my fish barrel:
  • Page:

Moderators: MKK-FARMS