Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Check out my garden!

Check out my garden! 21 Jul 2014 19:50 #2042

• PalmPlace
  • Good Job(s): 2
Planning and building my garden. I would like to produce all my own fruit and vegetables. I moved to S.W. Florida (4/13) and thought I could grow vegetables all year. I looked at building supplies and went home and calculated the costs. I looked at other options. I started collecting pallets (9/13), I cut up the pallets, I built boxes, lined them with plastic (I got the end of a roll from a farmer), filled the boxes and started planting. I finished half of the garden and had a good crop of vegetables a few months later. Everything I knew about growing vegetables in San Diego was not going to work here. I was told "don't even bother during the summer". We have 2 seasons. Fall getting cooler and spring getting warmer. I have had to research what can grow in the summer, and it's not much! I just finished building the 2nd half of my garden boxes and I am starting to fill them (7/14). I will be planting seeds next week to put out in October (when it cools off). I have excepted that I have a lot to learn (again). I am a 54 year old woman and I can build and grow a garden myself. If I can, you can too!

IMG_2966.JPG

IMG_3510.JPG

IMG_5005.JPG

IMG_8524.JPG

IMG_2958.JPG
Last Edit: 22 Jul 2014 00:18 by HFI_Matt.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Good Job(s) from: goldencompass_526

Check out my garden! 22 Jul 2014 00:24 #2044

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
  • Good Job(s): 108
What a great design PalmPlace!! I am loving the look of your garden:) Welcome to our website. So what do you plan on growing?

By the way, I moved your garden share to our "Share your Garden" area of our forum. To make sure that you are entered into the contest all you need to do is share the URL of this topic on our contest topic HERE!
He who has a glass house should not cast stones...

Check out my garden! 22 Jul 2014 10:31 #2047

• PalmPlace
Thank you. I love repurposing and redesigning scraps. It is amazing how things can look with a bit of labor and stain.

I grew broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, cucumbers, tomatoes, onions, green beans, squash, carrots, lettuce, kale & herbs and will again in the fall & spring. I'm currently growing herbs, kale, onions, okra, carrots. And wing beans, pigeon pea, luffa, tropical pumpkin are growing but I don't know that I'll eat them. Tropical vegetables are new to me. I try to grow what I usually consume to avoid grocery stores & pesticides.

I also have starfruit, mango, barbados cherry, papaya, dragon fruit, lychee, mulberry, fig, lemon, orange, blue berries, avocado, coconut, sugar cane, sugar apple & paper-shell pecan. As we clear I will plant more trees.

Check out my garden! 22 Jul 2014 10:37 #2048

• PalmPlace
Where do I add it? I don't see where to add other then reply to peoples posts. :(

homefarmideas.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&view=topic&catid=42&id=335&Itemid=204#2044

Check out my garden! 24 Jul 2014 00:01 #2050

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
  • Good Job(s): 108
Just click on "Quick Reply" or "Reply" on anyone's post on the contest topic:)

homefarmideas.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&view=topic&catid=109&id=306&Itemid=204
He who has a glass house should not cast stones...
  • Page:

Moderators: MKK-FARMS