Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Post-op Rehab Garden

Post-op Rehab Garden 09 Jul 2014 05:22 #1963

• dubee73
  • Good Job(s): 2
I bought my townhouse three years ago. I’m a single mom, and the size of this house and yard are just enough for me and my 17 year old son. We’re active people, and usually spend most of our “down time” at the gym. No need for a huge house or yard.
I’m also an ER nurse, and last year I hurt myself during a patient emergency. I tried to self-rehab, but finally ended up needing shoulder surgery at the end of March this year. Once the effects of the anesthesia left my body (a couple weeks,) I was BORED. Unable to do much of anything at the gym, sidelined from yoga, cycling, and power-lifting, I sat outside in my tiny backyard, one arm in a sling… just trying to figure out how to pass my time. I greatly dislike sitting idle.
My sister had started a garden about a month earlier, and it suddenly dawned on me that I should do the same. I drew up my plans to design a raised bed from cinder blocks, and got busy. My son helped me haul the things I couldn’t carry with one hand, but I carried all those cinder blocks, one at a time, from the store, into the truck bed, and to the back yard. It was time-consuming physical labor, which was exactly what I wanted...and NEEDED! My labor of love was born. My garden baby was ready to grow.
Since that tiny idea was born, I’ve planted many container plants, a freestanding raised bed, and just two days ago… ANOTHER raised bed along the fence line (MUST HAVE MORE GREEN BEANS!!!) This gardening thing has been so healing for my soul. I feel like I have a purpose every day when I wake up. I brew my morning cup of coffee, slip on my Ola Kai sandals, walk out the back door, and investigate the overnight growth. There’s always something new. And the bees and dragonflies are plentiful. It’s delightful. God’s presence is exploding back there! Even my dog loves to peak her nose into the foliage.
My shoulder is healing, and I’m able to do a few more activities. I’m addicted to my garden, so my new “yoga studio” is my back yard… less than three feet from my veggies. The energy from all that grows in my garden is palpable, and being nearby allows me to absorb some of that energy. These raised gardens in my tiny townhouse backyard are no longer there simply as a source of food. No. They are a source of energy. They are my therapy.

20140427_122846.jpg

20140427_151120.jpg

20140501_104705_RichtoneHDR.jpg

20140504_131449_RichtoneHDR.jpg

20140601_101723_RichtoneHDR-1.jpg

20140709_053207.jpg

20140702_191732_RichtoneHDR.jpg

20140709_075828_RichtoneHDR.jpg
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Good Job(s) from: HFI_Matt

Post-op Rehab Garden 09 Jul 2014 07:38 #1967

• pyro883
  • Good Job(s): 1
what are you growing on the horizontal trellis? watermelon?

Post-op Rehab Garden 09 Jul 2014 07:53 #1968

• dubee73
  • Good Job(s): 2
Yes, pyro. I have two watermelon plants. I've trellised them along the horizontal trellis, and will build a ladder-style trellis for them when the need arises (like I've done with my acorn squash.)
Thanks for checking out my garden! :)

Post-op Rehab Garden 09 Jul 2014 13:05 #1978

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
  • Good Job(s): 108
I just love your garden and your story! How was your son I'm liking the garden? My kids hated it at first but then when the fruit and veggie started coming beloved it:)

At first glance I thought you were growing starfruit:) Acorn squash is so tasty!

Anyways, welcome to our website:) Always feel free to jump in and help other members, post any questions you have, and have a great time here!

I moved your post to the proper area on the forum: Share your Garden

dubee73 wrote:
20140709_053207.jpg
He who has a glass house should not cast stones...
Last Edit: 09 Jul 2014 13:06 by HFI_Matt.
  • Page:

Moderators: MKK-FARMS