Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: 2014 East Texas Garden

2014 East Texas Garden 30 Jun 2014 14:09 #1848

• stevehughes
  • Good Job(s): 3
I could put a bunch of pictures up here but that would mean I would have to upload each one. I can put 1 link ALOT quicker! B)

www.youtube.com/user/EastTexasGardener

This is how we garden in East Texas...it's not that everything is bigger in Texas but if you are going to garden....have several gardens! :) We are currently attempting to grow "some of everything" as my wife puts in several diffent ways.

1. NFT - nutrient film technique: we have lettuce in this hydroponic setup. We were harvesting lettuce in 45 days. (remember---it's Texas, and it hasn't even got HOT yet. We have only seen the 90s so far. We are barely into the summer when we start to see 100s !!)

2. DWC - deep water culture: We are trying this method out to get faster, bigger quantities of different plants. This system has produced great so far. Please follow along as we are preparing for the "battle of the aphids" to see what works and doesn't work.

3. RGGS - rain gutter grow system: It is exactly what it sounds like. The plants are planted in buckets and placed into a rain gutter. This is a self sustaining garden that so far, I am liking. Once the plants are planted in the rain gutter, you walk away. The plants water themselves (once I hook up the rain barrel to the floats!)

4. dirt - a good 'ole put the seed or plant in the dirt and watch what happens. We have learned kinda sorta what to do and definitely what NOT to do. :blush:

We are also trying for the first time ever to hydroponically clone some of our tomato plants as our tomatoes didn't fare well this year.

Please take a look at the videos. If you have a way to do it
faster/better/cheaper,...PLEASE let me know!

We have several experiments we have plans to video. One of our main objectives is to find things that can withstand the East Texas heat as well as the rains (it is either way TOO much TOO quick or NOTHING at all for a month or two)

This link will take you to the latest video of all the gardens that was updated yesterday. Please watch, send comments, ask questions, but most of all, enjoy!

don't run.....you will only go to jail tired :)

www.hughesholidays.com
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Good Job(s) from: HFI_Matt

2014 East Texas Garden 01 Jul 2014 01:56 #1851

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
  • Good Job(s): 108
Hi Steve:)

I am working on a way to upload more then one photo at a time so hang in there. Just had a meeting with a new IT guy that is going to be helping around here.

I've seen some of your videos on youtube so I am happy your here to share some wisdom and have fun doing it. My youtube channel is www.youtube.com/mat2dong. If you have not already subbed head over and do so man:)

I am from Cali but I go big with my garden and projects and my dad is from TX so I am a shoe in. Ha ha ha!!

1. NTF is something I was wanting to do with my guppy fish barrel. This is my fish barrel and I was wanting to pump water from it and into a system like yours. I was thinking the water from this barrel would feed the plants:)

2. DWC is something I am learning about:) I would love to see how you put your system together. We have an article section if you want to show more details on how you made your system along with a video making it maybe? I would love to share your videos on our large facebook page. As for the aphids, if you get the DE make sure it is food grade DE. To apply it put two spoonfuls of it in a spray bottle, add a little water to shake it up really good, then full the bottle all the way and spray the leaves. When it drys the DE will be all over the leaves. The DE will work my friend!

3. RGGS is cool but I like a drip system on a timer better. In a gutter system you could get unwanted blood suckers;)

4. Nothing has beat the dirt for me yet but I love using all kinds of methods because it is fun:)

If I could suggest breaking up your videos into shorter videos. They will get watched much more and you can focus in on specific topics. I subbed to your channel and I am grateful your here with us!

Matt - Home Farm Ideas founder...
He who has a glass house should not cast stones...

2014 East Texas Garden 01 Jul 2014 06:48 #1853

• stevehughes
  • Good Job(s): 3
aquaponics.jpg

I have attached a picture of some friends of ours that live close by. They have a full blown aquaponic system complete with catfish and tilapia and are growing several different plants, veggies, and berries. We would try the fish if there were more room around here and I could figure a way to regulate the water temp better by being able to sink the pool into the ground like theirs. It will produce!!

I am fixing to put some more tomatoes in the DWC system so I will get a video done on how it's all put together. (hint, start drinking your favorite 2 liter drink now so you will have some "super ice cubes" :) and feel free to share any of our videos on your facebook page.

I was wondering about the DE mixed in with water. I am going to try and brush off as many aphids as possible this evening. They are not only on the top and bottom of the leaves, they are all over the stems also so I figure a good "brushing" of the entire plant, then hit them with DE should hopefully do the trick.

Thanks for the advice on the videos. I was already thinking of a way to shorten them...maybe an update on each separate system would shorten them considerably. Hopefully when we get a little time, (and get done winning the "aphid war" we will have some videos of the chickens and other farming experiments.

Thanks for hosting a site where people can get together and share ideas about everything gardening, chickening, surviving and life in general.

p.s. I guess since your dad is in Texas, we will let ya slide!! :silly:
don't run.....you will only go to jail tired :)

www.hughesholidays.com
Last Edit: 01 Jul 2014 06:51 by stevehughes.

2014 East Texas Garden 01 Jul 2014 12:12 #1858

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
  • Good Job(s): 108
Let your friends know about our website. That way if they want to share their wisdom with other people along with photos I'm sure it would be much appreciated:)

I generally try to share written articles along with photos or videos. I like to present them with sort of like a how-to:) There are times where I share forum post but generally speaking the forum is for questions that members would ask and knowledgeable members to jump in and help but article section is for knowledgeable members to teach on a subject.

You can always try to apply ladybugs as well. The trick to applying them and getting them to stay for the most part is put them in the refrigerator for about an hour (not the freezer) take them outside around sundown and pour them out where you want them. The refrigerator slows them down a whole lot and the night gets them to not move;)

Shorter videos seem to get a lot more attention. I think focusing in on each growing method and making separate videos would be awesome! When you're talking about them you seem knowledgeable and likable! Two great qualities for a video;) I definitely want to see more so keep the videos coming and when you're done making them feel free to post them to the forum! Or write an article and leave the rest to me!

Thank you for joining us here! All of us as a whole is what I enjoy. I also learned so much and so I appreciate all the information that is posted, so thank you!

My dad used to live in Texas, he has gone on to be with the Lord but he sure is missed. He told me a long time ago that he wanted to teach me to fish so that I would never go hungry:) I am here because I want to teach people to grow food and build community so that we are lacking nothing.

God Bless you and your sweetheart!
He who has a glass house should not cast stones...
  • Page:

Moderators: MKK-FARMS