Welcome, Guest
We are looking to build a large (easy to access) library on everything from keeping chickens, organic gardening, aquaponics, to preserving all the foods we produce. So please consider writing articles for all our members to enjoy!

Post an article HERE!

TOPIC: Anyone Growing Grains?

Anyone Growing Grains? 17 Mar 2014 13:41 #1059

• CaseyL
  • Good Job(s): 2
Wondering if anyone has any insight to share about diy harvesting of grains/seeds. We've harvested and threshed winter wheat, amaranth, and sunflowers and are adding barley and millet to the mix this year.
Hand harvest can be daunting, so I'd love to hear anyone's experience/ techniques. We usually grind seeds/grains in a pillowcase w/ a rolling pin, or whacking the pillowcase against the sidewalk. We winnow by pouring the resulting grain/chaff back and forth between 2 5 gal. buckets on a windy day. Who's got different or more effective ways? Let us hear! Thanks.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Anyone Growing Grains? 18 Mar 2014 15:11 #1063

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
  • Good Job(s): 108
I wish I could help you here but I am in the same boat:( On sunflowers I had a hard time with them because there seem to be thorns on them! My chickens loved what I got out of the sunflower heads but it was a tanks to say the least!

It was organic nonGMO so I went the extra mile for my girls!

Matt
He who has a glass house should not cast stones...
The administrator has disabled public write access.
  • Page:

Moderators: MKK-FARMS