Welcome, Guest
We are looking to build a large (easy to access) library on everything from keeping chickens, organic gardening, aquaponics, to preserving all the foods we produce. So please consider writing articles for all our members to enjoy!

Post an article HERE!

TOPIC: How long does it take for a tomato to ripen?

How long does it take for a tomato to ripen? 27 Jan 2014 14:27 #883

• RamblingSAHM
  • Mrs.
  • Good Job(s): 1
Ok, I know this is a little bit of a weird questions but we got a tomato bush (it is the bush variety not the vine) at Christmas time. It already had a baby tomato on it. It is now nearly the end of January and although it has grown a lot, it seems to have stopped growing but it still has not shown any signs of ripening. (the plant now has 7 fruit on it altogether). I know it is dependent upon the variety but just wondering if I should be doing something to it to help it along. It is getting plenty of sun and water.

Thanks in advance.
To see the rainbow you first have to experience the rain.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

How long does it take for a tomato to ripen? 27 Jan 2014 17:37 #890

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
  • Good Job(s): 108
That is a tough one to answer. I know the optimum ripening weather needs to be within the range of 67 and 78°F. When you have tomatoes that are at the "right size" (meaning they are at the size the should be to be ripe) and the temp is under 67° for to long your tomatoes can and do stay green. If you have two highest temperatures for long periods of time they can also stay green.

Do they have any color at all around the bottom tip of the tomatoes?

Realistically all you can do it this point is wait and see what happens:( Last year my tomatoes took forever to turn red but they eventually did so it's all good:)
He who has a glass house should not cast stones...

How long does it take for a tomato to ripen? 28 Jan 2014 00:14 #905

• RamblingSAHM
  • Mrs.
  • Good Job(s): 1
Thanks Matt, our weather has been very unpredictable, we have been averaging 20 degrees C with some massive days up to 40 degrees. There is no colour at all on any of them but I will keep them under observation :-)
To see the rainbow you first have to experience the rain.
  • Page:

Moderators: MKK-FARMS