Welcome, Guest
We are looking to build a large (easy to access) library on everything from keeping chickens, organic gardening, aquaponics, to preserving all the foods we produce. So please consider writing articles for all our members to enjoy!

Post an article HERE!

TOPIC: Blueberry and raspberry bushes

Blueberry and raspberry bushes 15 Jan 2014 11:30 #660

• lhaura_8556
  • Good Job(s): 1
Hello! I have a question for anyone that has grown their own blueberry or raspberry bushes. The area that my chickens are at now is very scratched up and we will be moving them this Spring, but I want to do something useful with that area. So my question is, will blueberry and raspberry bushes grow in a shaded area? There are three walnut trees (I'm not real sure their real name) at each corners of the area. Thanks!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Blueberry and raspberry bushes 15 Jan 2014 13:10 #663

lhaura_8556 wrote:
Hello! I have a question for anyone that has grown their own blueberry or raspberry bushes. The area that my chickens are at now is very scratched up and we will be moving them this Spring, but I want to do something useful with that area. So my question is, will blueberry and raspberry bushes grow in a shaded area? There are three walnut trees (I'm not real sure their real name) at each corners of the area. Thanks!

Black Walnut trees produce a toxin in the soil that most plants can't grow in. Luckily for you, raspberries aren't one of them. In fact, raspberries are one of only fruit options, when it comes to companion planting with Walnut. Blueberries on the other hand are very sensitive to the juglone toxin. Do an internet search for "companion planting black walnut" and you could probably find some more options.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." John Muir
Good Job(s) from: HFI_Matt, CDfromKY

Blueberry and raspberry bushes 15 Jan 2014 13:49 #665

• BrianV
  • Good Job(s): 10
Blueberry's tend to grow well when planted near pine trees, I think I once read because of the acidic soil. If you can't or don't want to plant them near pines, you can gather up some dirt from under the pines and mix it into the area you want to plant them. There's also a product called "holly tone", I can't remember the maker but it's available at pretty much every garden center, that will increase the soil acidity. Don't quote me on it, but I think its an all natural product too
dirt under your fingernail's is a sure sign of clean living
Good Job(s) from: HFI_Matt

Blueberry and raspberry bushes 15 Jan 2014 14:00 #669

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
  • Good Job(s): 108
lhaura_8556 wrote:

Obviously they do better in full sun but they are known for doing okay and partial shade:) They absolutely love acidic soil so if you can't find any pine, try a local organic coffee shop for used coffee grounds:)
He who has a glass house should not cast stones...
Good Job(s) from: Marieaa70

Blueberry and raspberry bushes 15 Jan 2014 14:29 #672

• streetwalker
  • Good Job(s): 18
As other members have suggested, full sun and acidic soil are the best. I don't know where you are located, but there are special cultivars of blueberries that are best for the West Coast. Traditional blueberries don't do well out here. I know you said you are moving your chickens, but a word of warning; both the leaves and fruit of the blueberries are chicken candy. BTW, I recently found a new raspberry cultivar that is thornless. Cool. If I only had more room...

Blueberry and raspberry bushes 16 Jan 2014 08:24 #687

• CDfromKY
  • Wise Old Gardener
  • Good Job(s): 18
Blueberries thrive in a Ph between 4-5. I've used Holly tone on my blueberries and they produce good. However they are in too much shade and have to compete with too many tree feeder roots so am going to move them in late winter. I love blueberries but me and the birds are in a competition to see who can get the blueberries first. I won last season, I put bird netting around the bushes!! Heh.
Mother Nature is my Teacher
Horses are my loves
And I can become awed
By a pair of Mourning Doves
Good Job(s) from: Panda

Blueberry and raspberry bushes 16 Jan 2014 11:28 #693

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
Maybe now they will understand that you're in charge;) Ha ha ha!!

Blueberry and raspberry bushes 20 Jan 2014 15:55 #741

• clewis111
  • Good Job(s): 1
How many coffee grounds should you add?

Blueberry and raspberry bushes 20 Jan 2014 17:01 #743

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
clewis111 wrote:
How many coffee grounds should you add?

How much you got? It really depends on the size of your blueberry bush.

Blueberry and raspberry bushes 16 May 2016 21:42 #2485

Save each pot of coffee ground s and egg shells for a week and crush them together and place around your Blues never have enough coffee grounds, you can not over do it or with egg shells,
Last Edit: 16 May 2016 21:44 by Marieaa70.
  • Page:

Moderators: MKK-FARMS