Welcome, Guest
We are looking to build a large (easy to access) library on everything from keeping chickens, organic gardening, aquaponics, to preserving all the foods we produce. So please consider writing articles for all our members to enjoy!

Post an article HERE!

TOPIC: Plants are growing, vegetables are not

Plants are growing, vegetables are not 23 Jun 2014 03:10 #1716

• dubee73
  • Good Job(s): 2
I'm curious if someone can offer advice:

According to my seed packets, many of my plants should be producing vegetables by now. I've had a few green beans, and I have two tomatoes, but nothing else. My tomato, cucumber, squash, cantaloupe, and other plants are growing and have flowers on them that keep dropping, but NO actual vegetables.

What's happenin'??? There's plenty of sun, lotsa watering, and tons of verbal encouragement from me :P . I'm a first year gardener, so please be gentle. :)

I used mostly organic composted cow manure, earthworm castings, and native soil as my garden mix.

Thanks for your advice in advance. :)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Plants are growing, vegetables are not 23 Jun 2014 07:13 #1719

• HBLovely49
:( I am a first year also. I don't have any wisdom to share other than don't give up ;) Have you tested the soil?

Plants are growing, vegetables are not 24 Jun 2014 19:46 #1754

• dubee73
Thanks for responding, HBL... I haven't tested the soil... That's probably a good start... I'll look into how to do it, and start there. Thanks for the recommendation! :)

Plants are growing, vegetables are not 25 Jun 2014 16:57 #1760

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
  • Good Job(s): 108
A lot of the time you get blossom falling off when you have either high nitrogen in your soil or extreme temperatures. Blossoms that have not been pollinated yet will drop off easily under extreme conditions like too cold or too hot:( Extreme temperatures can include lows at like 50 degrees and go up to 75-90 degrees.

So, have you added anything with high nitrogen or any strong weather swings?
He who has a glass house should not cast stones...
  • Page:

Moderators: MKK-FARMS