Welcome, Guest
We are looking to build a large (easy to access) library on everything from keeping chickens, organic gardening, aquaponics, to preserving all the foods we produce. So please consider writing articles for all our members to enjoy!

Post an article HERE!

TOPIC: 5 gallon buckets

5 gallon buckets 30 May 2014 12:35 #1437

• stevehughes
  • Good Job(s): 3
I am planning to build two of the RGGS systems this weekend and will post pics...The one thing I need to try and find are 5 gallon buckets (or actually 2.5-3gallon "square" buckets!!) The cheapest 5gallon buckets I have found so far are around $4. I am thinking that if I could find some smaller "square" buckets, I could get more plants on a gutter. I also am looking for some blue poly barrels to set up to catch rainwater and water a couple of different systems. (live in East Texas area)
I attached 3 different systems we are trying to get up and running now...
1. DWC(5gallon buckets) is doing the best so far...the plants were all apx 6" tall when when planted them two weeks ago
2. NFT (3" drain pipe) trying to see if we can get lettuce to grow in East Texas temps since we are already ranging from 65-85 degrees
3. regular garden that we are using drip irrigation on with a timer...this system will SPOIL you!!!! all we have to do is weed about once a week and check on the plants...everything else is taken care of!!! fixing to start getting tomatoes/squash/acorn squash/peppers out of this one!!

dwc.jpg

nft.jpg

garden.jpg
don't run.....you will only go to jail tired :)

www.hughesholidays.com
Last Edit: 30 May 2014 15:24 by HFI_Matt. Reason: Added photos to post.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Good Job(s) from: HFI_Matt, HBLovely49

5 gallon buckets 30 May 2014 15:41 #1442

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
  • Good Job(s): 108
Hi Steve:)

It may be worth it to buy cat little that comes in square buckets if your going to spend the $4. I am sure you can find I use for the unused cat little.

I am loving the DWC (5 gallon bucket) system man! Maybe take more photos of the workings on the one for me?

The NFT seems good for lettuces and other small plants. I have looked at making a system like this as well but I wanted to use the fence post because there square and that would allow you to have 2 holes if you put it into the shape of a diamond. I can clarify if needed bro! ;)

I use drip lines and it is great! Put a heavy mulch down and hardly ever have to weed the garden!! O ya:)

Just a little FYI on posting photos to the forum. I fixed your so they show up but watch THIS VIDEO and you will see how to post them to your topics so they show up.

Read through our WELCOME PAGE because it lays out how to use other areas of the site.

Admin Matt
He who has a glass house should not cast stones...

5 gallon buckets 18 Jun 2014 16:08 #1662

• lora_lee
  • Good Job(s): 2
My 5 gallon buckets each have an olla in it. An olla is an unglazed pot that you fill with water and bury in the soil. As the soil dries out, the water seeks through the pores of the olla. You fill up the olla when the water runs low. I bought so me online, but the cost was so high, I now make my own. You can look up making your own ollas on Youtube. It cost about $3.5 per good size olla.

5 gallon buckets 19 Jun 2014 00:21 #1667

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
O that I had these skills:) Did you know that plant roots actually suck water? When you put an olla in the ground your plants root system will wrap around it and suck water as it needs it. It literally gets the perfect amount of water!

5 gallon buckets 19 Jun 2014 09:36 #1672

• lora_lee
  • Good Job(s): 2
I did literally make my ollas from clay. I used unglazed clay pots from the local garden center to create my own version.

How to make ollas from clay pots

5 gallon buckets 19 Jun 2014 10:28 #1675

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
That looks easier:) Ha ha ha!!

Thought I would post there photos here:

a1.jpg

a2.jpg

a3.jpg

a4.jpg

5 gallon buckets 19 Jun 2014 10:29 #1676

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
This would be a great water saver!!
  • Page:

Moderators: MKK-FARMS