Welcome, Guest
We are looking to build a large (easy to access) library on everything from keeping chickens, organic gardening, aquaponics, to preserving all the foods we produce. So please consider writing articles for all our members to enjoy!

Post an article HERE!

TOPIC: Manure composting

Manure composting 24 Dec 2013 09:31 #219

• BrianV
  • Good Job(s): 10
I had a question on the composting of manure for use as a fertilizer and overall soil enhancer, I already know that the use of compost is one of the best things to use to enhance your soil, my question is: If you were to use manure from cow's/horses that were probably fed gmo corn/feed,would you then be introducing those gmo organisms into your organic garden?
dirt under your fingernail's is a sure sign of clean living
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Manure composting 24 Dec 2013 10:43 #220

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
  • Good Job(s): 108
BrianV wrote:
I had a question on the composting of manure for use as a fertilizer and overall soil enhancer, I already know that the use of compost is one of the best things to use to enhance your soil, my question is: If you were to use manure from cow's/horses that were probably fed gmo corn/feed,would you then be introducing those gmo organisms into your organic garden?

That is a good question Brian:) I would say yes because it is at a genetic level so they don't just disappear. Not only that, if you're trying to stay completely organic and introduce maneuver that was not organic then you will not have an organic garden.

Now I know it is probably tempting because the manure is "cheap" (maybe even free) and you can really use it to build up your soil but you will always have that in the back of your mind.

If there is any questions as to where it comes from or if it is healthy for your soil I would say ditch it.
He who has a glass house should not cast stones...
The administrator has disabled public write access.
  • Page:

Moderators: MKK-FARMS