Welcome, Guest
We are looking to build a large (easy to access) library on everything from keeping chickens, organic gardening, aquaponics, to preserving all the foods we produce. So please consider writing articles for all our members to enjoy!

Post an article HERE!

TOPIC: Composting the right way!

Composting the right way! 21 Dec 2013 13:32 #190

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
  • Good Job(s): 108
CDfromKY wrote:
My compost bin consist of four free pallets bound together with plastic ties. ( They build those things out of hard wood!) I took a half pallet on the front for a door. I cover the top with a sheet from an old tent, fits perfect. The ingredients I put in there are Kitchen scraps from my Sis's kitchen and my own. Chicken poop mixed with wood chips, fresh grass clippings and leaves in the fall. Soldier flies lay their eggs when it cools down, worms come in and all kinds of other little creatures. It "ain't pretty, but it's mine! In the spring it smells like good fresh soil! BTW If your compost stinks it's out of balance, and needs some oxygen. Working compost does not have a negative odor.

I so agree, you don't wanted to be anaerobic:) I just read your article that you posted and I thought it was really good!

The only thing that I've seen that is missing from your articles is a little organization and I boil that down to you don't have to be a tech when you're very good at gardening;) I am personally okay at gardening and okay and being a tech! Ha ha ha!

I just love your writing style, are you getting my private messages my friend?

Admin Matt
He who has a glass house should not cast stones...
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Composting the right way! 16 Jan 2014 21:40 #700

I need some composting help.

I live in a cold climate (Newfoundland, Canada) and find that due to the very short warm season (last year we had frost until the end of June and it froze again Labour Day weekend) my compost isn't breaking down. I've had the bin for three years now and I think I have the balance of greens and browns ok as it doesn't smell bad but I don't have much nice, black compost formed. Is there any way to speed up the process?

Composting the right way! 16 Jan 2014 22:48 #705

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
melissa_6053 wrote:
I need some composting help.

I live in a cold climate (Newfoundland, Canada) and find that due to the very short warm season (last year we had frost until the end of June and it froze again Labour Day weekend) my compost isn't breaking down. I've had the bin for three years now and I think I have the balance of greens and browns ok as it doesn't smell bad but I don't have much nice, black compost formed. Is there any way to speed up the process?

How big is your pile? It sounds like there is not enough nitrogen to get things cooking in your colder climate. Try piling the compost high (3 foot high or more), add some greens or manure, and that will get things cooking.

Composting the right way! 17 Jan 2014 10:46 #708

I have a round, black plastic bin about 4' high. Maybe I'll try a pile this summer and steal the neighbours grass clippings as well.

Composting the right way! 17 Jan 2014 12:11 #715

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
Be really aggressive right when it starts to warm up to get it cooking as soon as possible because your cold-weather, I think it's slowing down the composting process. Start early:)

Composting the right way! 28 Jan 2014 05:55 #909

I have three 55 gallon drums(plastic), that we drilled holes in randomly around the sides that I normally use & we transfer it around between the three. It takes a little longer to compost but it still works.
Right now we are just burying it straight into the garden trying to build up our horrible caliche clay we have here. Since it was a "new" garden from total scratch it needs a lot of amending. We also built a "berry bin" out of pallets & that has been composting for about 1 year now. So it will get worked into the soil this year too. Hopefully by this fall one section will be good enough to use.
  • Page:

Moderators: MKK-FARMS