Welcome, Guest
We are looking to build a large (easy to access) library on everything from keeping chickens, organic gardening, aquaponics, to preserving all the foods we produce. So please consider writing articles for all our members to enjoy!

Post an article HERE!

TOPIC: Product Review - The Worm Factory

Product Review - The Worm Factory 09 Jan 2014 10:45 #554

• streetwalker
  • Good Job(s): 18
Shortly after my retirement, I had a grand scheme to permaculture as I could on my small suburban lot. The first item on my checklist was vermiculture, aka, worm composting.

I purchased a Worm Factory stacking worm box from Nature's Footprint. Fast forward four years and I'm absolutely delighted with this product.

The Worm Factory features six stackable trays that provide for easy rotation of your composted material and a spigot at the bottom that allows for easy harvesting of the "worm juice", aka, "black gold". After four years, only one of the trays is showing wear.

I would like some sort of filter at the bottom layer, so the spigot doesn't clog. This Spring, I will add window screen to the bottom box to help filter out the sludge.

This worm box is the perfect size for the average family and it has a small footprint, taking up only a tiny part of your suburban/urban landscape.

I highly recommend The Worm Factory and give it 5 out of 5 thumbs up.

www.naturesfootprint.com/worm-factory

image.jpg
Last Edit: 09 Jan 2014 12:02 by HFI_Matt. Reason: Adding a photo:)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Product Review - The Worm Factory 13 Feb 2014 18:58 #988

• clewis111
  • Good Job(s): 1
I have been looking and researching having a 'worm factory". After your recommendation I ordered one. Can't wait for it to come. Thx :silly:
Good Job(s) from: streetwalker

Product Review - The Worm Factory 13 Feb 2014 19:09 #989

• streetwalker
That's great news, Clewis111. I have never regretted buying this apparatus, except for the sludge issue with the spigot. Best of luck to you and your worms. Please contact me if you have any questions. Cheers, Cheryl
Good Job(s) from: HFI_Matt

Product Review - The Worm Factory 13 Feb 2014 20:17 #990

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
  • Good Job(s): 108
You are awesome streetwalker:)

clewis111, if you ever have any questions on this streetwalker is the gal to talk to! Be sure to post your questions to the forum so others will learn!

Matt
He who has a glass house should not cast stones...

Product Review - The Worm Factory 14 Feb 2014 08:08 #993

• streetwalker
Clewis111, I just thought of a tip I wanted to share with you:

The instructions that come with the box will tell you to add your organic matter, bedding, etc. to the bottom box. As the contents are transformed you will add a box at a time, with the theory that the wigglers will slither to the next box in search of food. Some do, but others seem to prefer wiggling around in their own muck.

So, when I want to harvest the contents of the bottom box, I'm forced to hand pick the errant worms. This is yucky, messy and tedious.

Now, when the bottom box is ready for harvest, I remove it and place it on the top, with no lid for about a day. The squirmy ones don't like the sun and will move down to the bottom boxes, leaving me with pristine worm poop. :) I wouldn't do this in freezing or hot weather, however.

Mind you, I have 4 pairs of beedy, greedy hen eyes inches from my work as I do this. Hens are such tidy animals and would be upset if I let a nasty worm mess up their sidewalk. ;)
Good Job(s) from: CDfromKY

Product Review - The Worm Factory 14 Feb 2014 08:40 #995

• clewis111
Thank you for the extra info. Now if that UPS truck would just get here. :lol:

Product Review - The Worm Factory 15 Feb 2014 17:14 #1000

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
Ha ha ha! Come on UPS:)

Product Review - The Worm Factory 19 Feb 2014 17:24 #1035

• clewis111
It came today. Ready and wanting for those worms to come!

Product Review - The Worm Factory 19 Feb 2014 23:47 #1037

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
Be sure to take some photo's clewis111:)

Product Review - The Worm Factory 04 Mar 2014 18:32 #1053

• CDfromKY
  • Wise Old Gardener
When one is financially challenged one must invent. My worm farm I made was one of my grow boxes filled with lots of soil and leaves and kitchen scraps. I dug up some fat earthworms and some red wigglers from Sis's yard and put them in there. When I checked they had multiplied and needed some more food! So I gave them more leaves and cut grass. Saw lots of worm eggs also. Then disaster!! One of my determined hens somehow got the top off and was busy scattering soil everywhere and eating all my worms. :ohmy: By the time I saw her it was too late, two more had joined her and my worm farm was empty. There was even a robin darting in and grabbing worms! So that ended that farm. I raked up what soil I could and dumped it in my garden. This spring I will try again. Self watering Grow boxes make good worm farms. The bottom water holding tray is perfect for catching the drips for worm tea. Worms create such good soil! :)
Mother Nature is my Teacher
Horses are my loves
And I can become awed
By a pair of Mourning Doves
  • Page:

Moderators: MKK-FARMS