Welcome, Guest
We are looking to build a large (easy to access) library on everything from keeping chickens, organic gardening, aquaponics, to preserving all the foods we produce. So please consider writing articles for all our members to enjoy!

Post an article HERE!

TOPIC: Sweet potatoes

Sweet potatoes 03 Jun 2014 21:01 #1473

• rsmith
  • Good Job(s): 10
I just received 5 sweet potato slips yesterday. A group of us went together and got a deal on a bulk order. I thought I would be able to plant them in a metal garbage can like my regular potatoes. But I guess the sweet potatoes vine. The only place left in my raised beds is a 4x2 area between my strawberries and asparagus. I am not sure if I should plant them there or in the container. Anyone have experience growing sweet potatoes?
Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances...
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Sweet potatoes 04 Jun 2014 10:37 #1483

You can grow them either way...Each slip needs approx 20"x 20" for the tubers to have room to form. If you plant in the raised bed the slips do run all over like an ivy. I like having really loose soil for the bigger potatoes to form in... In short you could do it either way but only a couple slips would fit in a planter as to which all 5 could be planted in a 4x2 area.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
  • Page:

Moderators: MKK-FARMS