Welcome, Guest
We are looking to build a large (easy to access) library on everything from keeping chickens, organic gardening, aquaponics, to preserving all the foods we produce. So please consider writing articles for all our members to enjoy!

Post an article HERE!

TOPIC: Starting my Garden Early

Starting my Garden Early 26 Dec 2013 16:06 #250

• AdminEric
  • "Chickenman" or "Palletman"
  • Expert Member
  • Good Job(s): 26
I was working out in the yard today and started creating beds for where my pumpkins will go next year! A little early 9the ground is still frozen), but I raked the area, laid some rock as a border and spread a bunch of goat manure. Can't wait for spring! :cheer:
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Good Job(s) from: CDfromKY, Panda

Starting my Garden Early 26 Dec 2013 17:00 #260

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
  • Good Job(s): 108
AdminEric wrote:
I was working out in the yard today and started creating beds for where my pumpkins will go next year! A little early 9the ground is still frozen), but I raked the area, laid some rock as a border and spread a bunch of goat manure. Can't wait for spring! :cheer:

I was getting things ready today as well:) Going to rake out my coop and run area ether tomorrow or the next day and get it all in my garden beds.

What kind of pumpkin you growing bro?
He who has a glass house should not cast stones...

Starting my Garden Early 26 Dec 2013 17:15 #265

• CDfromKY
  • Wise Old Gardener
  • Good Job(s): 18
I was going to haul some more soil from my back yard out to my Hugelkultur Garden. I changed my mind when my pick ax bounced off the soil. Frozen solid! Western KY deep freeze persists! The hens were all gathered around, they know those worms are any where I dig. Love those hens! They talk to me, we have a chicken conversation when I'm digging in the soil. does your chickens talk to you?
Mother Nature is my Teacher
Horses are my loves
And I can become awed
By a pair of Mourning Doves

Starting my Garden Early 26 Dec 2013 17:43 #269

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
CDfromKY wrote:
I was going to haul some more soil from my back yard out to my Hugelkultur Garden. I changed my mind when my pick ax bounced off the soil. Frozen solid! Western KY deep freeze persists! The hens were all gathered around, they know those worms are any where I dig. Love those hens! They talk to me, we have a chicken conversation when I'm digging in the soil. does your chickens talk to you?

Mine girls talk to me all the time:) I was turning the soil in my small planter boxes and they where talking to me like crazy. Check it out! Ha ha ha!

Good Job(s) from: CDfromKY, Panda

Starting my Garden Early 26 Dec 2013 17:46 #270

• AdminEric
  • Expert Member
We're going to grow regular pumpkins for cooking down & eating. I've harvested the seeds for years now nad not sure what variety they are. I started too late last year and only got a few. Next year, that will be different. We use pumpkin in lots of our muffins & breads & whatnot! Of course pumpkin pie is my favorite!

My girls totally talk to me! I have a few that wil jump up on my lap if I sit down with them.

Starting my Garden Early 26 Dec 2013 17:57 #273

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
AdminEric wrote:
We're going to grow regular pumpkins for cooking down & eating. I've harvested the seeds for years now nad not sure what variety they are. I started too late last year and only got a few. Next year, that will be different. We use pumpkin in lots of our muffins & breads & whatnot! Of course pumpkin pie is my favorite!

My girls totally talk to me! I have a few that wil jump up on my lap if I sit down with them.

Small pumpkins? Do they look like this? These are sweetie pie pumpkins:)

Pumpkin.jpg

Pumpkin1.jpg

Starting my Garden Early 26 Dec 2013 18:35 #278

• AdminEric
  • Expert Member
Almost. Not quite as wide, but close.

Starting my Garden Early 26 Dec 2013 19:45 #283

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
AdminEric wrote:
Almost. Not quite as wide, but close.

I will have to send you some of these seeds so you can try these out one time soon:) So good!

Rochelle (my wife) makes pumpkin pie, pumpkin ice cream, and the BEST pumpkin cheese cake out of these:)
Good Job(s) from: CDfromKY

Starting my Garden Early 27 Dec 2013 16:24 #297

• CDfromKY
  • Wise Old Gardener
  • Good Job(s): 18
My new garden is all taken so I am going to try to raise my sweetie pie pumpkins in a container. Anyone have experience with growing pumpkins in containers?

BTW Has anyone used Mother Earth News's Garden Planner App.? This is my second year of subscribing to it and I love it. Next years garden all planned. If your interested I'll post a pic.

http://http://www.motherearthnews.com/garden-planner/vegetable-garden-planner.aspx
Mother Nature is my Teacher
Horses are my loves
And I can become awed
By a pair of Mourning Doves
Good Job(s) from: HFI_Matt

Starting my Garden Early 27 Dec 2013 17:20 #298

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
CDfromKY wrote:
My new garden is all taken so I am going to try to raise my sweetie pie pumpkins in a container. Anyone have experience with growing pumpkins in containers?

BTW Has anyone used Mother Earth News's Garden Planner App.? This is my second year of subscribing to it and I love it. Next years garden all planned. If your interested I'll post a pic.

http://http://www.motherearthnews.com/garden-planner/vegetable-garden-planner.aspx

Sure, post it up:)

Moderators: MKK-FARMS