Welcome, Guest
We are looking to build a large (easy to access) library on everything from keeping chickens, organic gardening, aquaponics, to preserving all the foods we produce. So please consider writing articles for all our members to enjoy!

Post an article HERE!

TOPIC: Itching to Garden

Itching to Garden 24 Jan 2014 19:57 #868

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
  • Good Job(s): 108
I also make them paying me for the flowerpots and the soil. It's obviously for a fraction of the cost but it teaches them the value of there dollar:) They've learned different ways to get more out of their money as well! When they know no one else is buying they switch from $3 per plant to $5 for 2!

It's funny to watch them swing business:)
He who has a glass house should not cast stones...
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Itching to Garden 27 Jan 2014 04:56 #876

We have been a lot warmer this January than last year(we went down to 13 for a low here), I have really wanted to get out to the garden & work this past week very badly. My husband just had back surgery on the 17th so it was a little too hard to get out there. We have been in the 70's for 2 weeks now! This is our normal mid Feb., temps when I normally plant my garden. I am still working on fixing my soil up so I won't be panting much in the ground garden again this year. But I do have some raised beds & a lot of pots I will be using to plant in. And I will keep amending the soil all this year too. Hopefully there will be one section that is all ready for my fall/winter garden to plant the end of Aug.

The beauty of living here is I can garden all year round!!

Itching to Garden 28 Jan 2014 08:07 #917

• Channahs
  • Runs with Scissors
  • Good Job(s): 3
I found this really interesting "What To Plant Now" planner that is specific to your precise area. All you do is plug in your zipcode and voila! You've been zoned!

What To Plant Now
Good Job(s) from: HFI_Matt

Itching to Garden 28 Jan 2014 08:54 #918

• tracey_p
  • chicken addict
  • Good Job(s): 7
Channahs wrote:
I found this really interesting "What To Plant Now" planner that is specific to your precise area. All you do is plug in your zipcode and voila! You've been zoned!

What To Plant Now

Awesome! Although having just walked out to the well house in 19 degree temps since I don't have any water in the house, I'm not itching to garden right this second. I'm trying to thaw out! BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!
I have 7 silkie hens, 1 silkie roo,2 naked neck silkies, 1 frizzled silkie cockerel, 1 frizzled silkie pullet, 1 cochin, 1 frizzled cochin cockerel, 1 frizzled cochin pullet, and 8 polish pullets.

Moderators: MKK-FARMS