Welcome, Guest
We are looking to build a large (easy to access) library on everything from keeping chickens, organic gardening, aquaponics, to preserving all the foods we produce. So please consider writing articles for all our members to enjoy!

Post an article HERE!

TOPIC: Itching to Garden

Itching to Garden 20 Jan 2014 17:05 #744

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
  • Good Job(s): 108
Be sure to put up some photo's of those hoop houses:) What are you plan on planting?
He who has a glass house should not cast stones...
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Itching to Garden 21 Jan 2014 08:40 #756

• Channahs
  • Runs with Scissors
  • Good Job(s): 3
I think I'm going to start germinating my bunny garden inside this week. Lettuces and greens. We're going to have one low night of 16 this week. We're usually good to plant the lettuce by the mid to end of February, so maybe :crosses fingers: I can go ahead and get a few things started inside.

This message has been Bun Jovi approved.

Itching to Garden 21 Jan 2014 10:14 #761

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
My brother is setting up a water system for my raised beds this year. I have been working so much so I hired him to do it:) It is going to be awesome because I will be putting it on a timer!

We have Bun Jovi on our site everyone!!!! Ha ha ha!!

Matt

Itching to Garden 21 Jan 2014 10:53 #770

I have a larger backyard but most of it is taken up with animal pens lol. However, yesterday I began my indoor seeds to get ready for planting. almost 400 starters later... Hopefully someone will take some of my sprouts off my hands when it comes time!

Itching to Garden 21 Jan 2014 11:44 #782

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
jengalbraith818 wrote:
I have a larger backyard but most of it is taken up with animal pens lol. However, yesterday I began my indoor seeds to get ready for planting. almost 400 starters later... Hopefully someone will take some of my sprouts off my hands when it comes time!

My kids make it a point to sell starter plants for cheaper then you can get at Home Depot and they let people know it is all organic plants that are nonGMO:)

I made some videos of what they do.

Video 1

Video 2
Good Job(s) from: homesteadmom

Itching to Garden 21 Jan 2014 11:49 #783

Yeah I'm not good enough to do all that. I'm still trying to figure this gardening stuff out myself. I am hoping some of my farm friends will take them off my hands. I love to barter... maybe some goats milk soap :cheer:
Good Job(s) from: HFI_Matt

Itching to Garden 21 Jan 2014 11:49 #784

• clewis111
  • Good Job(s): 1
That is awesome. Have to teach them young!!

Itching to Garden 21 Jan 2014 12:05 #790

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
Hint hint!! Ha ha ha:)

Itching to Garden 21 Jan 2014 12:07 #791

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
clewis111 wrote:
That is awesome. Have to teach them young!!

Ah, and you see why I wanted them to do this:) They will never forget how to grow there own foods! I love them so much and they make me happy!

Itching to Garden 24 Jan 2014 13:34 #865

• tracey_p
  • chicken addict
  • Good Job(s): 7
That's a great idea. I wish some people in our area would do that. Kids need to be taught 1. how to plant, 2. you can make money even at a young age.

I've really got the itch - it won't be long!

We just moved to a house with 12 acres last June so this will be our first year for a garden here (we were able to plant a small garden with some squash, peppers, cantaloupe, and watermelon last year). We had a small garden at our old house where we had lived 22 years, but now the options are so exciting!

We've got 20+ fruit and nut trees ordered that should come in any day. I'm so excited about our trees and garden we'll be planting. Right now I only have the garlic and onions in the ground but plan on planting a LOT!
I have 7 silkie hens, 1 silkie roo,2 naked neck silkies, 1 frizzled silkie cockerel, 1 frizzled silkie pullet, 1 cochin, 1 frizzled cochin cockerel, 1 frizzled cochin pullet, and 8 polish pullets.

Moderators: MKK-FARMS