Welcome, Guest
We are looking to build a large (easy to access) library on everything from keeping chickens, organic gardening, aquaponics, to preserving all the foods we produce. So please consider writing articles for all our members to enjoy!

Post an article HERE!

TOPIC: Itching to Garden

Itching to Garden 11 Jan 2014 07:22 #607

• AdminEric
  • "Chickenman" or "Palletman"
  • Expert Member
  • Good Job(s): 26
It's going to be 55º today! I am dying to get out in the garden and do something! I know if that I go out and start working, we'll get hit with more snow & I'll have to start over. Maybe I'll go out and turn the soil that might tide me over.

Anyone else got "the itch"?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Itching to Garden 11 Jan 2014 17:08 #610

• lhaura_8556
  • Good Job(s): 1
Oh gosh! I have! I have been clearing out an area for our berry bushes. This weekend we are going to start building on our 2nd and hopefully 3rd raised garden beds.

Itching to Garden 11 Jan 2014 19:05 #613

• Panda
  • Expert Member
  • Good Job(s): 41
LOL I have been holding my husband back the last couple of days. He keeps saying "I think the worst of the winter is over" and he wants to plant lettuce...
What?? The winter is over?? In what part of the country?? Not in WASHINGTON!! It is only January!!!
I want to get planting too but... it is not fun to plant and have everything die and having to plant it all over again.
I am game to start planting inside but even our greenhouse has been down in the 20's just a few days ago.
*sigh* Spring hurry up!!
Come to my garden and sit with me...
Among the flowers and honey bees...

Itching to Garden 12 Jan 2014 06:57 #622

• BrianV
  • Good Job(s): 10
Hey Panda, I checked out your video on your new chicken coop yesterday, pretty cool by the way, we're going to try our hand at chicken's this year and I like a lot of your ideas, but anyway, in the video I caught a couple quick glimpses of your greenhouse, do you have any kind of heat source in it? I'm sure it gets pretty warm in the day even in winter, but maybe a small heater could keep it warm enough even at night to grow some cool weather crops in the winter
dirt under your fingernail's is a sure sign of clean living
Good Job(s) from: Mitzi2011

Itching to Garden 12 Jan 2014 08:00 #623

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
  • Good Job(s): 108
I know I got the bitch and I've already planted carrots and lettuce:) The only place I can think of right now in the states that you can start drawing is Southern California;) And yes, I happen to live there! Boom!!!

Don't be jealous! Ha ha ha!!
He who has a glass house should not cast stones...

Itching to Garden 12 Jan 2014 08:01 #624

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
By the way, when you have chickens no food goes to waste;)

Itching to Garden 12 Jan 2014 16:19 #630

• fmueseler
Lots of snow left today here in Northeast Ks however planted lettuce in my cold frame, will see what comes up. Ha ha
fmueseler

Itching to Garden 12 Jan 2014 17:52 #634

• lhaura_8556
I was just considering lettuce today! I'm in West Virginia, and we have had a pretty warm Winter. Today it was in the 50s with a low of 36* tonight. I was figuring if I order the seeds tonight, give it about a week to get them, it should be fine(?). I also read a post about "cold frames" and this guy plants his in February. www.waldeneffect.org/howtoplantlettuce/
Good Job(s) from: HFI_Matt

Itching to Garden 12 Jan 2014 18:33 #635

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
fmueseler wrote:
Lots of snow left today here in Northeast Ks however planted lettuce in my cold frame, will see what comes up. Ha ha

No photo's of your cold frame? :)

Itching to Garden 12 Jan 2014 19:23 #637

• Panda
  • Expert Member
  • Good Job(s): 41
BrianV wrote:
Hey Panda, I checked out your video on your new chicken coop yesterday, pretty cool by the way, we're going to try our hand at chicken's this year and I like a lot of your ideas, but anyway, in the video I caught a couple quick glimpses of your greenhouse, do you have any kind of heat source in it? I'm sure it gets pretty warm in the day even in winter, but maybe a small heater could keep it warm enough even at night to grow some cool weather crops in the winter

We were growing lettuce and a few other things in the greenhouse in November but in December we got some pretty cold weather down below 20 degrees fahrenheit and everything wilted and died. We do not have any heat inside the green house and Ralph really does not want to try to heat it lol
I wish I had Matt's weather lol and yes Matt I am jealous *giggle* but not enough to move. I love Washington!

I have a nice bay window that I can get some seeds started and by the time they get big enough to plant I can plant them in the raised bed inside the green house maybe.
Come to my garden and sit with me...
Among the flowers and honey bees...

Moderators: MKK-FARMS