Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: My Lavender Orpies

My Lavender Orpies 27 Jan 2014 05:02 #877

Orpies are beautiful birds, I started with a flock of them. I have a white one in my flock now. My last buff died last year, her name was Gracie & she was a sweetie!! I was not aware they came in lavender, my mind is turning & hubby might be finding me with some new chicks this year again!! LOL

I added auracauna's to my flock last year.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

My Lavender Orpies 27 Jan 2014 08:05 #878

I too have been wanting to add some blue or lavender orpingtons to my flock this year. We have three buffs and I just adore them and they are great layers! I need to get an incubator to hatch them though since they are outrageously expensive to buy as pullets (or at least they are for this poor farmer lol)

My Lavender Orpies 28 Jan 2014 05:05 #907

• Channahs
  • Runs with Scissors
  • Good Job(s): 3
Ooh auracaunas are lovely! There's nothing prettier than the blue egg they lay. I have several grown out pairs of lav orpies in a pen right now and my plan is to sell them out and buy a flock of nothing but ladies. I want a pen of red, white and blue hens. :side: A couple of cinnamon queens, I would prefer white or blue Ameraucanas, maybe a white orpington or two, but definitely cinnamon queens to cover the red. My husband loves that breed.

I started with Buff Orpies. I love them too. They're especially sweet if you don't have a rooster. I love the sheen of their feathers when they're young. Iridescent! Just gawjus.

My Lavender Orpies 28 Jan 2014 05:14 #908

I got a white auracauna last year when I bought mine, they had 8 left & one was white so I took it too. Sadly one had such a twisted breast her tail was completely sideways when it came in & she died.

We had a rhodie roo that was huge & oh was he gorgeous!! He would walk up to you & lean into you so you would pick him up. He loved to be held & loved on. When we got him he was 12 years old & we had him 2 1/2 years.

Some people think I am crazy but I love to sit & watch my birds. They have so much personality & do some funny things too!!
My best friend that passed away last month wanted chickens & her hubby said no(he would end up taking care of them) so she lived vicariously through me, with mine.

My Lavender Orpies 05 Feb 2014 03:51 #956

• Channahs
  • Runs with Scissors
  • Good Job(s): 3
I agree! Chickens are like an aquarium in your yard. I let mine out of their pens to range throughout the year, less of course in winter when the weather is bad, but my favorite time to sit out and watch them is in spring when everything is starting to green up. The roosters can be so comical. I've had good and bad roos. The worst was a mottled bantam cochin LOL I think he had Napolean complex. Growing up he was the ugliest little thing you could imagine with bald spots and sprigs of feathers all over his body. I named him Chucky. I think that's where I went wrong. He hated me and would come running across the yard to give me a karate chop every single time he saw me.
  • Page:

Moderators: MKK-FARMS