Welcome, Guest
We are looking to build a large (easy to access) library on everything from keeping chickens, organic gardening, aquaponics, to preserving all the foods we produce. So please consider writing articles for all our members to enjoy!

Post an article HERE!

TOPIC: Odd Behavior

Odd Behavior 02 Jan 2014 05:11 #417

• Opabee
  • Opa
  • Good Job(s): 3
I have a red star hen going through her first molt and she is acting a bit odd. She puts her head down and starts walking backwards in a straight line like she is pulling a string. She doesn't have anything on her beak and isn't shaking her head like she has something caught in her throat. She is eating normal and otherwise acts normal....any thoughts from the experienced chicken farmers??
"Eat honey, my child, for it is good."
~ Proverbs 24:13
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Odd Behavior 02 Jan 2014 11:55 #418

• CDfromKY
  • Wise Old Gardener
  • Good Job(s): 18
I saw an example of this on YouTube. I think that was a red star also! My thought is you might want to check her for egg impaction. GENTLY is the word. Is she constipated? Does she have internal parasites? Just some thoughts to consider.
Mother Nature is my Teacher
Horses are my loves
And I can become awed
By a pair of Mourning Doves

Odd Behavior 02 Jan 2014 12:05 #421

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
  • Good Job(s): 108
Opabee wrote:
I have a red star hen going through her first molt and she is acting a bit odd. She puts her head down and starts walking backwards in a straight line like she is pulling a string. She doesn't have anything on her beak and isn't shaking her head like she has something caught in her throat. She is eating normal and otherwise acts normal....any thoughts from the experienced chicken farmers??

Also, I'm wondering if this is the first molt you have been a part of. There are times where chickens can go through pretty bad malt and they definitely act totally depressed and mop around. My Rhode Island red almost seems like she is dying when she goes through them. Like she's really sick or something...

Matt
He who has a glass house should not cast stones...

Odd Behavior 02 Jan 2014 19:21 #438

• AdminEric
  • "Chickenman" or "Palletman"
  • Expert Member
  • Good Job(s): 26
I would also check id she may be egg bound (gently, like CD said). Otherwise just keep an eye on her. Keep us posted.

Odd Behavior 03 Jan 2014 00:21 #454

• Opabee
  • Opa
I thought they didn't lay during the molting process? I will give her a gently check tomorrow morning.
Thanks for the input.

Odd Behavior 06 Jan 2014 05:37 #515

• Opabee
  • Opa
I checked my hen very closely and found no issues with her egg duct or crop. I guess she was just showing off for me with a little dance. She lost all her neck feathers during the molt, but they are coming back strong now. This is my first year with chickens so I am learning a lot. Thanks for all the valuable input.

Bee Friendly & Bee Blessed,

Opa bee
  • Page:

Moderators: MKK-FARMS