Welcome, Guest
We are looking to build a large (easy to access) library on everything from keeping chickens, organic gardening, aquaponics, to preserving all the foods we produce. So please consider writing articles for all our members to enjoy!

Post an article HERE!

TOPIC: My New Coop

My New Coop 24 Aug 2014 23:26 #2260

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
  • Good Job(s): 108
Ha ha ha! Seeing them dig in the wood chips make me laugh every time:) I am loving the container to save the food!

I have found that tying up and hanging the water and feeder up to there shoulders kept wood chips out of the water and they are not able to dig in the food tray;) In this video you can see my feeder and waterer tied up. Skip ahead to 5:57.

They are so happy!!
He who has a glass house should not cast stones...
The administrator has disabled public write access.

My New Coop 25 Aug 2014 04:10 #2265

• LKShepherd
  • Good Job(s): 3
I made a waterer as shown on your video, even made it before I got the chicks.... but just haven't used it yet. I should. But as for my feeder... how did you get them to hang when I don't have a "hanger hook/hole" on it?

My New Coop 25 Aug 2014 14:09 #2270

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
Use that waterer ASAP:) It will keep the water nice and clean! To hang them I used a hot glue gun and hot glued some plastic cable hooks and ran the sting through the eye. Then I just tied it to the top of my brooders cage.

The hooks looked like this:
Last Edit: 25 Aug 2014 14:09 by HFI_Matt.

My New Coop 25 Aug 2014 14:11 #2271

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
Just add lots of hot glue and scratch up the surface so the hot glue sticks good:)

My New Coop 31 Aug 2014 17:20 #2285

• LKShepherd
  • Good Job(s): 3
HFI_Matt wrote:
Just add lots of hot glue and scratch up the surface so the hot glue sticks good:)

Well I made a contraption to hang it and it's working, however I did have an issue. I made another video...

Have you ever had a chicken not take to the nipple and dehydrate themselves?? I think that happened with one of my girls!
Last Edit: 31 Aug 2014 18:42 by LKShepherd.

My New Coop 02 Sep 2014 22:09 #2287

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
I never had an issue but I made sure that they all drank from the nipple. Once they know then they will all take to it. That Barred Rock may be getting a little sick so keep a close eye on her. On your water, make sure you have a hole popped at the other end of your waterer so water is not trapped. Every time you tap the nipple water should come out.

Deputy is a "Easter Egger":) A lot of the time roos will be super friendly but it is way to early to know at this point.

My New Coop 02 Sep 2014 22:13 #2288

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
Try putting a little apple cider vinegar (ACV) in there water. That will help with any bugs in there Bellies.

Moderators: MKK-FARMS