Welcome, Guest
We are looking to build a large (easy to access) library on everything from keeping chickens, organic gardening, aquaponics, to preserving all the foods we produce. So please consider writing articles for all our members to enjoy!

Post an article HERE!

TOPIC: HELP

HELP 26 May 2014 05:57 #1358

Dear Matt,
my name is Emmy and i am a fan of your ideas. But i have a big problem,the liner im using is good (a good brand) but the eggs are still cracking and also i cant use hay because my daughter is allegic. what should i use? :dry:
-Emmy yan

p.s. love your awsome vids
Last Edit: 26 May 2014 06:00 by emmy_7733.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

HELP 26 May 2014 11:02 #1360

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
  • Good Job(s): 108
Hi Emmy:)

Thank you! I am happy my Videos help you!

I don't really know what you're talking about but I am assuming you're talking about your nest boxes? Can you post some pictures of what you're doing and your nest box so I can see? You could maybe double the liner but I really need to see your set up:)

P. S. I moved your topic to Coops & Runs. Anything to do with the coop or the run goes in the section.
He who has a glass house should not cast stones...

HELP 04 Jun 2014 09:38 #1482

• rsmith
  • Good Job(s): 10
Pine shavings work well. You can get them at local farm supply stores. We get ours at Tractor Supply Inc. I have heard of people using shredded paper, but I have not tried it.
Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances...

HELP 05 Jun 2014 01:58 #1488

• Grimnar
I tried shredded paper once, but it didn't work well. These days I use sugar cane mulch which works better for me since I am also mildly allergic to hay.

Otherwise, Matt did a video a little while back about using a carpet liner, and was looking into making a roll away nest box, so that the eggs dropping from the chicken would land on a nice soft carpet or AstroTurf and then roll away into a collection point so they can't be stepped on or knocked around by the hens.

This sort of thing doesn't have to be very complicated. I've seen one done using a cheap paint roller tray... Just add some carpet liner, stick it in your normal nest box. :)

HELP 05 Jun 2014 14:17 #1495

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
  • Good Job(s): 108
A paint roller tray sounds awesome:) I just want to make sure it is easy to clean as well as rolling the eggs out of the nest box.

I basically want to build something! Ha ha ha!! ;)
He who has a glass house should not cast stones...
  • Page:

Moderators: MKK-FARMS