Welcome, Guest
We are looking to build a large (easy to access) library on everything from keeping chickens, organic gardening, aquaponics, to preserving all the foods we produce. So please consider writing articles for all our members to enjoy!

Post an article HERE!

TOPIC: My Pallet Coop

My Pallet Coop 23 Dec 2013 18:02 #213

• AdminEric
  • "Chickenman" or "Palletman"
  • Expert Member
  • Good Job(s): 26
Thanks CD! I love building with pallets! They are so useful and I get them for free as well.

I do live in AZ. I used to live in Gilbert but am now in Flagstaff. 7000' and MUCH cooler in the summer.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

My Pallet Coop 26 Dec 2013 13:01 #238

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
  • Good Job(s): 108
AdminEric wrote:
Thanks CD! I love building with pallets! They are so useful and I get them for free as well.

I do live in AZ. I used to live in Gilbert but am now in Flagstaff. 7000' and MUCH cooler in the summer.

I think I would use pallets a whole lot more if the nails were not so hard to get out! Grr!! Any ideas Eric?
He who has a glass house should not cast stones...

My Pallet Coop 26 Dec 2013 16:00 #248

• AdminEric
  • Expert Member
There are 2 ways to break a pallet apart to get the nails out. 1 is to use a sawsall to gut the boards off of the 2x4 stringer and the other is to use a pry bar (that's how I do it. I plan to get a video up soon of how to break pallets apart for use in the garden (just gotta get my camera girl focused!).
Good Job(s) from: HFI_Matt

My Pallet Coop 26 Dec 2013 17:11 #264

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
AdminEric wrote:
There are 2 ways to break a pallet apart to get the nails out. 1 is to use a sawsall to gut the boards off of the 2x4 stringer and the other is to use a pry bar (that's how I do it. I plan to get a video up soon of how to break pallets apart for use in the garden (just gotta get my camera girl focused!).

I was doing it with the a saw and I lost to much wood so I tried removing the nails and it was just to much work for me:)

Videos are always welcomed;)

My Pallet Coop 26 Dec 2013 17:48 #272

• AdminEric
  • Expert Member
When I break them apart with the pry bar, some of the nails get sheared off and I just leave them there. If i can get the nails out easily I do, otherwise i just leave them. It's not like I'm making furniture, it's just farm animal housing & such.
Good Job(s) from: HFI_Matt

My Pallet Coop 26 Dec 2013 18:03 #275

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
AdminEric wrote:
When I break them apart with the pry bar, some of the nails get sheared off and I just leave them there. If i can get the nails out easily I do, otherwise i just leave them. It's not like I'm making furniture, it's just farm animal housing & such.

True:) Ha ha ha! Still a big pain in the butt getting those nails out but worth it for sure!

My Pallet Coop 26 Dec 2013 18:33 #277

• AdminEric
  • Expert Member
TOTALLY a pain in the butt! I've gotten used to it and have what I think is a sort of technique. Look for a video soon!

My Pallet Coop 26 Dec 2013 19:48 #284

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
AdminEric wrote:
TOTALLY a pain in the butt! I've gotten used to it and have what I think is a sort of technique. Look for a video soon!

Sure will man:)
  • Page:

Moderators: MKK-FARMS