Welcome, Guest
We are looking to build a large (easy to access) library on everything from keeping chickens, organic gardening, aquaponics, to preserving all the foods we produce. So please consider writing articles for all our members to enjoy!

Post an article HERE!

TOPIC: Question on Predator Proofing Coop

Question on Predator Proofing Coop 16 Jan 2014 14:16 #694

• msjaci
I have a small coop made from upcycled pallets, for cirulation and natural light we used chicken wire to make a window and a small screen on the coop door. Two neighborhood dogs cleared my fence a couple months ago and tore clear through a corner of the wood and ripped the chicken wire clear off. We boarded off the windows because it was getting cold and Wintery anyway, but now that it's going to warm back up for Spring I need to find a way to protect my hens and also let them have fresh air and stuff. :) anyone have any ideas on what I can do?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Question on Predator Proofing Coop 20 Jan 2014 20:27 #748

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
  • Good Job(s): 108
msjaci wrote:
I have a small coop made from upcycled pallets, for cirulation and natural light we used chicken wire to make a window and a small screen on the coop door. Two neighborhood dogs cleared my fence a couple months ago and tore clear through a corner of the wood and ripped the chicken wire clear off. We boarded off the windows because it was getting cold and Wintery anyway, but now that it's going to warm back up for Spring I need to find a way to protect my hens and also let them have fresh air and stuff. :) anyone have any ideas on what I can do?

Sorry it took so long to get back to you, I did not see this post for some reason...I would use a heavier wire to protect your girls. When the dogs are on your property shot them! Ha ha ha;)
He who has a glass house should not cast stones...

Question on Predator Proofing Coop 28 May 2014 05:07 #1376

• Jake1945
  • Good Job(s): 2
I'd use metal "hardware cloth", which is heavier and has about 1/4" mesh. Attach it with small fence staples and it should suffice to keep dogs from ripping it off. We use it on our duck pen to keep weasels & other small predators out.
Cheers,
John & Caroline

Question on Predator Proofing Coop 28 May 2014 11:01 #1383

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
  • Good Job(s): 108
That's the good stuff!! Thanks Jake:)
He who has a glass house should not cast stones...
  • Page:

Moderators: MKK-FARMS