Welcome, Guest
We are looking to build a large (easy to access) library on everything from keeping chickens, organic gardening, aquaponics, to preserving all the foods we produce. So please consider writing articles for all our members to enjoy!

Post an article HERE!

TOPIC: Chicken Tractors

Chicken Tractors 12 Jan 2014 12:42 #625

Just curious, how many of you have your chickens in a chicken tractor? I kept my birds in a traditional coop and run system for the first year and half that I had them. I wanted an alternative to this for many reasons. Mainly due to the constant cleaning of the run. Also, it doesn't take long for the chickens to bring the area down to bare soil. So, a year ago I built this tractor and have been very pleased with it. (Although, I now see many improvements that could be made on the next one.)With 60 square feet in the tractor, I can move them once a day and only cover half an acre in a year's time. They always have clean ground to walk on, fresh grass, clover, and bugs daily, and good protection from predators.

image.jpg
Attachments:
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." John Muir
Last Edit: 12 Jan 2014 14:09 by HFI_Matt.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Good Job(s) from: HFI_Matt

Chicken Tractors 12 Jan 2014 16:32 #632

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
  • Good Job(s): 108
Joseph_Hosey wrote:
Just curious, how many of you have your chickens in a chicken tractor? I kept my birds in a traditional coop and run system for the first year and half that I had them. I wanted an alternative to this for many reasons. Mainly due to the constant cleaning of the run. Also, it doesn't take long for the chickens to bring the area down to bare soil. So, a year ago I built this tractor and have been very pleased with it. (Although, I now see many improvements that could be made on the next one.)With 60 square feet in the tractor, I can move them once a day and only cover half an acre in a year's time. They always have clean ground to walk on, fresh grass, clover, and bugs daily, and good protection from predators.

image.jpg

I have a coop and a run because I have a relatively small backyard compared to what you have. I must say dude, this looks awesome and I just love that at the same time your chickens are getting food, clean ground, and aerating your soil, they are also fertilizing the ground:)

This is the kind of stuff we need articles on!! If you get time write an article about how you built this, I think this would really benefit a lot of other members:)

I am getting ready to build some enclosures that fit to my garden beds so that I can put my chickens in there for a day so they can go through all the soil to prepare it for planting! Fun stuff!!

Matt
He who has a glass house should not cast stones...

Chicken Tractors 12 Jan 2014 17:22 #633

• AdminEric
  • "Chickenman" or "Palletman"
  • Expert Member
  • Good Job(s): 26
I used to keep my baby chicks in a tractor that I built from scrap I had laying around. I kept the tractor in the coop run so they could all get used to each other. Once the babies could eat regular feed, I opened the tractor so they could come out when they were comfortable.
Good Job(s) from: Joseph_Hosey

Chicken Tractors 23 Jan 2014 07:39 #846

• brelza
We've been thinking of doing a tractor but with 18 chickens the idea seems daunting. How many chickens do you have an how many sq feet is the tractor?
  • Page:

Moderators: MKK-FARMS