Welcome, Guest
We are looking to build a large (easy to access) library on everything from keeping chickens, organic gardening, aquaponics, to preserving all the foods we produce. So please consider writing articles for all our members to enjoy!

Post an article HERE!

TOPIC: Whey & Soy Protein for Chickens, Ducks & Guineas?

Whey & Soy Protein for Chickens, Ducks & Guineas? 25 Aug 2014 06:35 #2266

• gypsyrain
  • Wife, Mother, Daughter of God, AKA Gypsy Rain
  • Good Job(s): 1
I guess my first question should be, any feedback on Purina feed?
Next, I would like to get all of my birds that are old enough onto the same feed. Since my chickens seem to have a protein deficiency(based on their feather picking habits) and apparently need more calcium for thin shells and maybe some vitamin D, (and the yolks are weak, they can't be separated because the membrane doesn't hold up), I was thinking I would switch to a 20% protein so we don't have to switch again when the guineas come of age. However, I am having difficulty finding a 20% ration that is not derived from animal protein, except for Purina. Then I found an all in one feed from Purina that includes calcium and grit, vitamins and omega 3 (so I wouldn't have to buy any extra stuff) but it is only 15% protein. I have a pantry full of protein powders still in date from when I was having to stay on a liquid diet after weight loss surgery. They are all whey our soy based. Could I add this to my feed to get it up to 20% and if so, at what ratio? Thank you
~Mistie
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Whey & Soy Protein for Chickens, Ducks & Guineas? 25 Aug 2014 21:21 #2272

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
  • Good Job(s): 108
A gal that is not on here said the following and I agree with her:)

"Sara Rae Maguire I dont see why not unless the manufactorer specifically says do not five to animals or you could buy a cheaper high protien feed and mix it to bring the protein up".
He who has a glass house should not cast stones...

Whey & Soy Protein for Chickens, Ducks & Guineas? 26 Aug 2014 12:06 #2273

• gypsyrain
  • Wife, Mother, Daughter of God, AKA Gypsy Rain
  • Good Job(s): 1
Thank you, Matt and Sara. We did finally find a 20% protein feed that also includes calcium. It does not include grit, but at least I have eliminated one thing from the grocery list. :) Turns out the feed store we usually use has one, but it's not the gamebird mix that was recommended by them. They actually recommended meat bird feed because that one has only plant based protein and has the 20% I was looking for. My biggest concern with animal based protein was trying to avoid fish byproducts since that can give duck eggs a fishy taste. I have a sister who is a foodie that surprised me when she said she didn't like duck eggs because they taste fishy. I told her that was because of their diet and told her I would be doubly sure my ducks aren't fed fish or fish byproducts and let her try an egg from them before she completely writes them off. :) I really appreciate the help and the suggestion to get the lower protein and the higher protein and mix was a very good idea and would probably work better in the long run since I would eventually run out of protein powder and that isn't cheap either. :)
~Mistie

Whey & Soy Protein for Chickens, Ducks & Guineas? 27 Aug 2014 14:38 #2275

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
  • Good Job(s): 108
Awesome:) Maybe start to breed mealworms as a treat for added protein!
He who has a glass house should not cast stones...

Whey & Soy Protein for Chickens, Ducks & Guineas? 27 Aug 2014 15:38 #2277

• SoCalDeere
  • Good Job(s): 9
Take a given weight of feed

figure out what 15% of that is

Now find out how protein is in the powder you want to add to the feed

Now figure out how powder you need to add to feed

For example if you need to add 2oz. Of protein to a pound of feed and your protein powder is 50% protein you would add 4 Oz. Of powder
To get 2 Oz of protein

If your confused :S get back to Me
Learning the self-relanace of our Parents and Grand Parents

And the new stuff They wish they knew about
  • Page:

Moderators: MKK-FARMS