Welcome, Guest
We are looking to build a large (easy to access) library on everything from keeping chickens, organic gardening, aquaponics, to preserving all the foods we produce. So please consider writing articles for all our members to enjoy!

Post an article HERE!

TOPIC: Chicken Grazing Frames (Video!)

Chicken Grazing Frames (Video!) 23 Jan 2014 14:08 #857

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
  • Good Job(s): 108
Some time back I built a grazing frame for my girls, and wouldn't you know it, I got it on video! LoL!!

I wanted to give my chickens fresh greens in there pinned area each day that they could not dig up the roots. Well, this grazing frame does just that:) You can grow fresh greens in your chickens runs and your chickens cannot dig the root systems out of the plants that you end up planting for them! Now because they cannot destroy the roots you will have a constant supply of greens growing up through the holes in the wire that they can only graze off of.

I hope it is helpful:) Also, what do you all think would be good to plant in these frames?

He who has a glass house should not cast stones...
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Good Job(s) from: tracey_p

Chicken Grazing Frames (Video!) 24 Jan 2014 07:01 #863

• Channahs
  • Runs with Scissors
  • Good Job(s): 3
Excellent video :) I've recently learned that girls can be good with tools too! My husband uses this saw to cut, but his is not stabilized, just held by hand. I prefer something more stabilized like what you're using.

Fodder to plant in your frame (what will shoot from the wire):

Barley
Wheat grass (wheat berries?)
Oats
Milo
Millet

Loved seeing your little fertilizer factory hopping around in the background. :)

Chicken Grazing Frames (Video!) 24 Jan 2014 13:17 #864

• tracey_p
  • chicken addict
  • Good Job(s): 7
I love it. I am definitely going to do this. I haven't found much that my girls don't like to eat, so it's pretty limitless as to what to plant. I think I'm just going to plant some grass under it.
I have 7 silkie hens, 1 silkie roo,2 naked neck silkies, 1 frizzled silkie cockerel, 1 frizzled silkie pullet, 1 cochin, 1 frizzled cochin cockerel, 1 frizzled cochin pullet, and 8 polish pullets.

Chicken Grazing Frames (Video!) 24 Jan 2014 15:38 #866

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
  • Good Job(s): 108
tracey_p wrote:
I love it. I am definitely going to do this. I haven't found much that my girls don't like to eat, so it's pretty limitless as to what to plant. I think I'm just going to plant some grass under it.

You have to pick something that can go through the wires though. Wheat grass has worked out really great for me:)
He who has a glass house should not cast stones...
  • Page:

Moderators: MKK-FARMS