Welcome, Guest
We are looking to build a large (easy to access) library on everything from keeping chickens, organic gardening, aquaponics, to preserving all the foods we produce. So please consider writing articles for all our members to enjoy!

Post an article HERE!

TOPIC: Feed for your chickens!

Feed for your chickens! 30 Dec 2013 17:52 #383

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
  • Good Job(s): 108
Joseph_Hosey wrote:

Dude, I am loving this brother and I definitely love the idea. If I lived more out in the country I would try and do something like this just to see how it would work:) Judging from what I know about maggots and flies I am sure this would work great!

One thing I would be concerned about is when the maggots leave the bucket they still may have some rotting residue on them and that is kind of concerning for me.

Is this video done by you Joseph?

Admin Matt
He who has a glass house should not cast stones...
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Feed for your chickens! 30 Dec 2013 18:17 #386

HFI_Matt wrote:
Dude, I am loving this brother and I definitely love the idea. If I lived more out in the country I would try and do something like this just to see how it would work:) Judging from what I know about maggots and flies I am sure this would work great!

One thing I would be concerned about is when the maggots leave the bucket they still may have some rotting residue on them and that is kind of concerning for me.

Admin Matt

No, not me. I haven't tried it yet. My birds are in tractors so I'm not sure if this exact method would work for me. I thought about doing pretty much what he does, except put a "funnel" under the bucket so the maggots could be collected into a separate container. This would let me have the maggot operation going anywhere on the property without having a bucket of rotten meat in or near the tractors. This funneling idea could also allow us to "clean" them before feeding them to the hens. Just a good water hose shower would make me feel better. Lol
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." John Muir
Last Edit: 30 Dec 2013 18:58 by HFI_Matt.

Feed for your chickens! 30 Dec 2013 19:02 #387

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
Joseph_Hosey wrote:
HFI_Matt wrote:

Admin Matt

No, not me. I haven't tried it yet. My birds are in tractors so I'm not sure if this exact method would work for me. I thought about doing pretty much what he does, except put a "funnel" under the bucket so the maggots could be collected into a separate container. This would let me have the maggot operation going anywhere on the property without having a bucket of rotten meat in or near the tractors. This funneling idea could also allow us to "clean" them before feeding them to the hens. Just a good water hose shower would make me feel better. Lol

I did an article on something you may want to try:)

www.homefarmideas.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=19:black-soldier-fly-composter&catid=50:beneficials&Itemid=306

Matt

Feed for your chickens! 01 Jan 2014 15:47 #412

great idea!!Thanks for sharing :)

Feed for your chickens! 01 Jan 2014 17:20 #413

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
Duzan_Farm wrote:
great idea!!Thanks for sharing :)

What one was a good idea? I thought the maggot one was good:)

Feed for your chickens! 01 Jan 2014 18:10 #414

The maggot idea, was awesome, free food!

Feed for your chickens! 01 Jan 2014 18:20 #415

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
Duzan_Farm wrote:
The maggot idea, was awesome, free food!

Yep, I agree!! Not only that but none of your trash will go to waste now;) Suckers eat meat!

Feed for your chickens! 02 Jan 2014 12:45 #427

• CDfromKY
  • Wise Old Gardener
  • Good Job(s): 18
Opabee wrote:
Thank you for sharing about fermented feeding. I went to the website you posted and researched a few others. I started my first gallon of fermented feed today. I am going to use up the last of my Commercial 16% layer pellets and then try to find a good recipe for making my own no GMO layer feed that I can also ferment.

How are you doing with the fermented feed. Have you noticed a difference in the eggs? I weighed mine before 2.0-2.3 oz and afterward 2.6-2.9 oz. Chickens looking healthier?
Mother Nature is my Teacher
Horses are my loves
And I can become awed
By a pair of Mourning Doves
Last Edit: 02 Jan 2014 12:46 by CDfromKY. Reason: misspelled words

Feed for your chickens! 02 Jan 2014 13:31 #430

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
CDfromKY wrote:
Opabee wrote:
Thank you for sharing about fermented feeding. I went to the website you posted and researched a few others. I started my first gallon of fermented feed today. I am going to use up the last of my Commercial 16% layer pellets and then try to find a good recipe for making my own no GMO layer feed that I can also ferment.

How are you doing with the fermented feed. Have you noticed a difference in the eggs? I weighed mine before 2.0-2.3 oz and afterward 2.6-2.9 oz. Chickens looking healthier?

Yes, I agree:) How's it going with the fermented feed?

Feed for your chickens! 23 Jan 2014 10:10 #851

Thanks for sharing!! I am definitely going to be reading that article!
I'm down to the last 250lbs of feed that came with the chickens when I moved them to my home. I have a goal of getting everyone organic and (fingers crossed) GMO free and mixing my own feed by the summer when I hope to be selling my eggs.

Moderators: MKK-FARMS