Welcome, Guest
We are looking to build a large (easy to access) library on everything from keeping chickens, organic gardening, aquaponics, to preserving all the foods we produce. So please consider writing articles for all our members to enjoy!

Post an article HERE!

TOPIC: Feed for your chickens!

Feed for your chickens! 22 Sep 2013 20:52 #22

• mat2dong
  • ~ Holy Cow! ~
  • ADMIN
Testing
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Feed for your chickens! 23 Sep 2013 12:28 #23

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
  • Good Job(s): 108
Loving this!
He who has a glass house should not cast stones...

Feed for your chickens! 19 Dec 2013 12:33 #103

• CDfromKY
  • Wise Old Gardener
  • Good Job(s): 18
I have been feeding my chickens fermented feed for about 3 months now. They lay larger eggs, the yolks and whites are firmer and tastier! when I started eggs were 2.0oz-2.3 oz. Three days after I started fermenting the feed eggs were 2.6-2.8oz. With an occasional 3 oz egg. And one of the comets laid a 4 oz egg! It was a double yolker but I have never seen a double yolked egg that large!! they look healthier, more energetic. From my experience I have learned the following 1. My hens do not like their feed too wet so instead of draining I use less water and use an airtight lid on my fermenting container. 2. If your feed smells like alcohol DO NOT FEED unless you want a bunch of drunk or dead chickens! 3. Bubbling in you fermented feed is a good thing. 4. I have less loss from birds, evidently they don't like it. 5. I buy feeds with the lacto bacteria already added. 6. If you notice a different smell it may be have switched over to aerobic fermentation and needs to be acidified to resume anaerobic fermentation. Add a small amount of Braggs pure organic apple cider vinegar.

naturalchickenkeeping.blogspot.com/p/fermented-feed.html
Mother Nature is my Teacher
Horses are my loves
And I can become awed
By a pair of Mourning Doves
Last Edit: 28 Dec 2013 14:32 by CDfromKY.
Good Job(s) from: Panda, Joseph_Hosey

Feed for your chickens! 19 Dec 2013 13:35 #107

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
CDfromKY wrote:
I have been feeding my chickens fermented feed for about 3 months now. They lay larger eggs, the yolks and whites are firmer and tastier! when I started eggs were 2.0oz-2.3 oz. Three days after I started fermenting the feed eggs were 2.6-2.8oz. With an occasional 3 oz egg. And one of the comets laid a 4 oz egg! It was a double yolker but I have never seen a double yolked egg that large!! they look healthier, more energetic. From my experience I have learned the following 1. My hens do not like their feed too wet so instead of draining I use less water and use an airtight lid on my fermenting container. 2. If your feed smells like alcohol DO NOT FEED unless you want a bunch of drunk or dead chickens! 3. Bubbling in you fermented feed is a good thing. 4. I have less loss from birds, evidently they don't like it. 5. I buy feeds with the lacto bacteria already added. 6. If you notice a different smell it may be have switched over to aerobic fermentation and needs to be acidified to resume anaerobic fermentation. Add a small amount of Braggs pure organic apple cider vinegar.

Interesting! I see a great article in your future with some photo's maybe? :)

Great stuff!
Good Job(s) from: nhearthwitch

Feed for your chickens! 19 Dec 2013 14:14 #109

• Opabee
  • Opa
  • Good Job(s): 3
I would love to hear more about fermented feed. Please share!
"Eat honey, my child, for it is good."
~ Proverbs 24:13

Feed for your chickens! 23 Dec 2013 15:44 #212

• CDfromKY
  • Wise Old Gardener
  • Good Job(s): 18
I included a site of good information about fermented feed. How Why When Where......
Am working on an article based on my experience with it.
Mother Nature is my Teacher
Horses are my loves
And I can become awed
By a pair of Mourning Doves

Feed for your chickens! 24 Dec 2013 09:08 #217

• Opabee
  • Opa
  • Good Job(s): 3
Thank you for sharing about fermented feeding. I went to the website you posted and researched a few others. I started my first gallon of fermented feed today. I am going to use up the last of my Commercial 16% layer pellets and then try to find a good recipe for making my own no GMO layer feed that I can also ferment.

image_2013-12-24.jpg
"Eat honey, my child, for it is good."
~ Proverbs 24:13
Last Edit: 23 Jan 2014 13:35 by HFI_Matt.
Good Job(s) from: CDfromKY

Feed for your chickens! 26 Dec 2013 12:44 #232

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
CDfromKY wrote:
I included a site of good information about fermented feed. How Why When Where......
Am working on an article based on my experience with it.

Vertie written a whole bunch of articles but I'm definitely looking forward to this one!! Ha ha ha:)

Feed for your chickens! 26 Dec 2013 12:49 #233

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
Opabee wrote:
Thank you for sharing about fermented feeding. I went to the website you posted and researched a few others. I started my first gallon of fermented feed today. I am going to use up the last of my Commercial 16% layer pellets and then try to find a good recipe for making my own no GMO layer feed that I can also ferment.

Let us know how this one comes out, maybe even posted to the forum under feeding & watering? It would be cool to see how it turns out:)

Feed for your chickens! 30 Dec 2013 11:07 #375

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." John Muir
Good Job(s) from: CDfromKY, LKShepherd

Moderators: MKK-FARMS