Welcome, Guest
We are looking to build a large (easy to access) library on everything from keeping chickens, organic gardening, aquaponics, to preserving all the foods we produce. So please consider writing articles for all our members to enjoy!

Post an article HERE!

TOPIC: Havent raised chickens since I was a kid

Havent raised chickens since I was a kid 19 Dec 2013 11:43 #102

I am making my old truck cap with wood pallets and 5 gallon buckets for the nests into a chicken coop. Looking only to lay eggs for consumption and for meat. Any suggestions on what kind of chicken to get don't know much about the breeds now? BTW, the site looks sweet. :)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Havent raised chickens since I was a kid 19 Dec 2013 13:28 #106

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
  • Good Job(s): 108
MasterTrainer wrote:
I am making my old truck cap with wood pallets and 5 gallon buckets for the nests into a chicken coop. Looking only to lay eggs for consumption and for meat. Any suggestions on what kind of chicken to get don't know much about the breeds now? BTW, the site looks sweet. :)

Admin Eric posted an article on our site about his pallet coop:) Check it out here: www.homefarmideas.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=42:building-with-pallets&catid=24:coop-run&Itemid=348

On the chickens I would say the breeds I have are great layer! I have a Barred Rock, Buff Orpington, and a Rhode Island Red. They all lay about every day but the Beff lays bigger eggs:)

All the eggs are just as good if not better size then the store.

As for meat, I do not really know.

I am happy you like the site for sure!! Welcome:)
He who has a glass house should not cast stones...

Havent raised chickens since I was a kid 19 Dec 2013 19:08 #110

Thanks for the link to the pallets Eric. I was looking at the Rhodes but will look into the others as well. Thanks again. :)

Havent raised chickens since I was a kid 19 Dec 2013 19:15 #111

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
MasterTrainer wrote:
Thanks for the link to the pallets Eric. I was looking at the Rhodes but will look into the others as well. Thanks again. :)

Reds are my favorite for sure:) Sweet chickens and mine is great with the kids!

Havent raised chickens since I was a kid 30 Dec 2013 09:27 #369

• AdminEric
  • "Chickenman" or "Palletman"
  • Expert Member
  • Good Job(s): 26
HFI_Matt wrote:
MasterTrainer wrote:

Admin Eric posted an article on our site about his pallet coop:) Check it out here: www.homefarmideas.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=42:building-with-pallets&catid=24:coop-run&Itemid=348

On the chickens I would say the breeds I have are great layer! I have a Barred Rock, Buff Orpington, and a Rhode Island Red. They all lay about every day but the Beff lays bigger eggs:)

Thanks for the props Matt. I agree, the 3 breeds Matt mentioned are great layers. I'm not sure about for meat either. I only raise chickens for the eggs (unless that one rooster keeps it up...). Whichever breed you go with for meat or eggs, the feed is important. Whatever they eat will be in the eggs and/or the meat. Just somethnig to consider.

Havent raised chickens since I was a kid 30 Dec 2013 16:48 #382

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
AdminEric wrote:
HFI_Matt wrote:
MasterTrainer wrote:

Thanks for the props Matt. I agree, the 3 breeds Matt mentioned are great layers. I'm not sure about for meat either. I only raise chickens for the eggs (unless that one rooster keeps it up...). Whichever breed you go with for meat or eggs, the feed is important. Whatever they eat will be in the eggs and/or the meat. Just somethnig to consider.

No problem Eric:)

Havent raised chickens since I was a kid 04 Jan 2014 19:22 #485

I'd think for meat would be Cornish X. c: They grow pretty fast and they have quite the attitude with other chickens. I had 4 before but 1 died and had to get rid of the other, so 2 left. But there's a problem with meat birds though. You can't have a feeder full with them around they eat constantly. I have my flock on a scheduled feeding just so the 2 Cornishes don't over eat. But if you free range that'd be great exercise for them. c: They also lay about a medium - small light cream-ish brown egg c:
Oh look chickens.
Last Edit: 04 Jan 2014 19:24 by please2meet.
  • Page:

Moderators: MKK-FARMS