Welcome, Guest
We are looking to build a large (easy to access) library on everything from keeping chickens, organic gardening, aquaponics, to preserving all the foods we produce. So please consider writing articles for all our members to enjoy!

Post an article HERE!

TOPIC: bloody or egg bound?

bloody or egg bound? 08 Jun 2014 21:54 #1517

• Amy29
2 year old silkie hen that has been laying regularly and today shes been laying in the same spot all day hasn't moved and refuses to move. Even if I pick her up and put her in a different place she will just lay there.

If shes broody how do I get her to stop being broody?? Thanks in advance
The administrator has disabled public write access.

bloody or egg bound? 13 Jun 2014 19:14 #1568

• freakykate
  • Good Job(s): 1
I'm shocked no one has responded to this. I would soak her in warm water and epsom salt get her vent down in in the warm water. Sometimes they just need to really relax and help to move the egg out. (Other signs to look for to see if she is egg bound is looking at her vent is it opening and close like she is straining. Does her stomach seem swollen?) Is she eating and drinking?

If she is broody. I would take her away from the nest and separate her. Like you would with a sick chicken, and give her food and water. But get her away from the eggs and nests for a few days then try putting her back. If she goes back to the broody behavior then I would take her back out and put her in "broody prison" again. lol Just to help break her habit.

It's important to watch and see if she is eating and drinking and that she isn't ill or egg bound first though. Some broody hens don't eat though, so I would absolutely give her a epsom bath and watch her closely.
Good Job(s) from: HFI_Matt

bloody or egg bound? 13 Jun 2014 19:36 #1569

• Amy29
Thanks for the response. She is broody alomg with 2 of my other hens.. ive been trying to figure out how to get them broke so thanks for the advice.

bloody or egg bound? 14 Jun 2014 01:36 #1573

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
  • Good Job(s): 108
Thank you Katelyn for helping Amy:) I have been so packed with work and I did not see this one!

Amy, sometimes you just need to let them be broody tell there done my friend. It's kind of like when there molting, just wait them out:)
He who has a glass house should not cast stones...

bloody or egg bound? 16 Jun 2014 08:03 #1616

• freakykate
  • Good Job(s): 1
Absolutely! ;)
  • Page:

Moderators: MKK-FARMS