Welcome, Guest
We are looking to build a large (easy to access) library on everything from keeping chickens, organic gardening, aquaponics, to preserving all the foods we produce. So please consider writing articles for all our members to enjoy!

Post an article HERE!

TOPIC: Day old chicks

Day old chicks 21 Jan 2014 09:07 #757

• Channahs
  • Runs with Scissors
  • Good Job(s): 3
One way to prevent pasty butt in chicks is to give them some parakeet grit or a little dish of sand in their brooder. If you've ever observed chicks raised by a mother hen, you will never see pasty butt issues, and this is because mom shows them what they need to eat. Also, be sure to gradually reduce the level of heat in the brooder as the chicks feather out. This can also be a contributor to pasty butt.

I've dealt with my share for sure. If you do end up with a chick who's vent is closed by pasting up, put a little olive oil in a syringe or dropper and soak the poo. This will make it easier to remove. A very soft toothbrush will help to remove the paste, but be very, very careful that you are gentle and only removing the poo and don't scrub off the tail. I did this once. Now I have a rooster named Mr. Man No Tailio.

Stand back! Once the vent is clear, you might get an eyeful! I keed, :lol: but a full chick will immediately start to be relieved when all is cleared.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Day old chicks 21 Jan 2014 10:20 #764

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
  • Good Job(s): 108
Ha ha ha!! Comes out like a rocket:) (DChick)
He who has a glass house should not cast stones...
The administrator has disabled public write access.
  • Page:

Moderators: MKK-FARMS