Welcome, Guest
We are looking to build a large (easy to access) library on everything from keeping chickens, organic gardening, aquaponics, to preserving all the foods we produce. So please consider writing articles for all our members to enjoy!

Post an article HERE!

TOPIC: Day old chicks

Day old chicks 14 Jan 2014 13:31 #652

• rsmith
  • Good Job(s): 10
So, I just got 15 day old chicks today. I have never had chicks or hens before. One of the chicks had some pasting on her vent. I washed it gently with a warm wet cloth. Afterwards, her vent seems to be slightly swollen or prolapsed (if that is even possible in chicks). She is eating and drinking, but a couple of the other chicks are pecking at her vent. What do I need to do? Is there anything that needs to be done or is this all part of raising chicks? I will probably have lots of questions over the next few weeks!
Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances...
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Day old chicks 14 Jan 2014 13:33 #653

• rsmith
I should say that the quantity of chicks is 15 and they all are day old chicks. 5 Rhode Island Reds, 5 Golden buffs, and 5 Barred Rocks.

Day old chicks 14 Jan 2014 19:14 #654

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
  • Good Job(s): 108
Hi rsmith and welcome:)

Can you get a photo of her vent area and some little chick photo's as well! Chickens will peck at areas like that so you may need to put her somewhere else for now.

Thanks and God Bless!

Admin Matt
He who has a glass house should not cast stones...

Day old chicks 15 Jan 2014 11:03 #659

• rsmith
Here are some pics. She was sure difficult trying to hold her...so not the best picture of the vent.

DSC_0194.JPG

DSC_0190.JPG

DSC_0193.JPG
Last Edit: 15 Jan 2014 14:24 by HFI_Matt.
Good Job(s) from: HFI_Matt

Day old chicks 15 Jan 2014 14:29 #671

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
I love little chicks!! You got a bunch of cuties there:) It looks a little bald so I would assume they are picking on her way to much. One things for sure, if she makes it through you're going to love her the most and she will end up a he! Ha ha ha!

I would definitely separate her from the other ones tell she heals up a bit but try not to wait too long. Maybe put her in something close so they can still see her and they can all still interact but she should be separated.

By the way, when you're adding photos try doing this so that you get the results of what I did on your post. The files just being attached they are not posted to the forum:) I am riding a whole page on how to do stuff around our site so bear with me.

image_2014-01-15-2.jpg

Day old chicks 15 Jan 2014 19:34 #681

we used baking soda in the water until it clears up...also chick electrolytes have 2 waterers, one for each

Day old chicks 16 Jan 2014 14:33 #695

• rsmith
DSC_0197.JPG

Little pasty butt (that is her nick name...haha)is not doing too well. I have her in her own box with food and water. She is staggering when she walks and is lethargic. She no longer has poop stuck to her, but her vent looks red and swollen. I will try to get a better photo to upload tonight. I just stopped home for a few minutes to check on them. All the other chicks appear to be happy and healthy. I have the box in the brooder with the other chicks. Should I move the box out of the brooder? Is she ill and contagious?
Last Edit: 16 Jan 2014 17:27 by rsmith. Reason: add photo

Day old chicks 16 Jan 2014 19:31 #697

• rsmith
Our little chick didn't make it. She passed away about an hour ago. Live and learn. Not sure if there was anything I could have done differently. Survival of the fittest I guess.

Day old chicks 16 Jan 2014 21:32 #699

• terribabe69
  • Good Job(s): 2
awww sorry to hear that. My 2nd chick had a pasty butt. I just took a warm washcloth and wiped it off really good. It took a little while to get off her. Hopefully your other chicks are ok. Just keep an eye on them.

Day old chicks 16 Jan 2014 22:37 #703

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
O sorry my friend:( Keep an eye on the other babies, I am sure they will be fine.

With little chicks you have to catch this stuff early:(
  • Page:

Moderators: MKK-FARMS