Welcome, Guest
We are looking to build a large (easy to access) library on everything from keeping chickens, organic gardening, aquaponics, to preserving all the foods we produce. So please consider writing articles for all our members to enjoy!

Post an article HERE!

TOPIC: Anyone else have chicks in the bator?

Anyone else have chicks in the bator? 27 Jan 2014 19:12 #901

• tracey_p
  • chicken addict
  • Good Job(s): 7
HFI_Matt wrote:
tracey_p wrote:
My eggs are on lock-down, when I candled them for lock-down I saw movement in 19 of the 20 eggs. Now just waiting for them to start pipping. So eggciting! :lol:

Awesome, can't wait to see!! Peep peep!!

Me neither. I have numbers on all the eggs & we have 5 of us in a pool (brrrr) to see which one will hatch 1st. We've all picked 4 numbers. (As if a hatch isn't exciting enough).
I have 7 silkie hens, 1 silkie roo,2 naked neck silkies, 1 frizzled silkie cockerel, 1 frizzled silkie pullet, 1 cochin, 1 frizzled cochin cockerel, 1 frizzled cochin pullet, and 8 polish pullets.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Anyone else have chicks in the bator? 27 Jan 2014 19:45 #902

wow, how exciting. I have a ? for yas. Did you get your fertile eggs from a breeder/hatchery - or are they your chicken's eggs? Just trying to plan here. We are in the research phase of starting our chicken family here. My kids (4H project) want to do the fertile eggs in the bator so they can see the whole process.

thanks in advance for your help.

Anyone else have chicks in the bator? 27 Jan 2014 20:12 #903

• tracey_p
  • chicken addict
kanakoschild wrote:
wow, how exciting. I have a ? for yas. Did you get your fertile eggs from a breeder/hatchery - or are they your chicken's eggs? Just trying to plan here. We are in the research phase of starting our chicken family here. My kids (4H project) want to do the fertile eggs in the bator so they can see the whole process.

thanks in advance for your help.

The eggs are from my hens. Where are you located?
I have 7 silkie hens, 1 silkie roo,2 naked neck silkies, 1 frizzled silkie cockerel, 1 frizzled silkie pullet, 1 cochin, 1 frizzled cochin cockerel, 1 frizzled cochin pullet, and 8 polish pullets.

Anyone else have chicks in the bator? 27 Jan 2014 20:28 #904

We live in Taberg, New York (Lewis County - upstate NY) - Snow country.
With the winters we have here - I am looking into getting hardy/family friendly eggs/chickens - any suggestions???? I was thinking RIR, but I would like some variety too. :)

thanks.

Anyone else have chicks in the bator? 28 Jan 2014 04:54 #906

• Channahs
  • Runs with Scissors
  • Good Job(s): 3
I just love lock-down! Once it hits day 18, my nose stays planted on the incubator window. I've had them hatch on day 19, so I always get so excited. Bantams sometimes tend to hatch earlier, but every bird and their genes are different. Good luck! I hope you'll post pictures! I hope you get some frizzles.

11 more days for me. Or if I'm lucky, only 9 :woohoo:

Anyone else have chicks in the bator? 28 Jan 2014 06:44 #913

• tracey_p
  • chicken addict
kanakoschild wrote:
We live in Taberg, New York (Lewis County - upstate NY) - Snow country.
With the winters we have here - I am looking into getting hardy/family friendly eggs/chickens - any suggestions???? I was thinking RIR, but I would like some variety too. :)

thanks.

RIR and Dominquers are hardy and good egg layers but they're not as sociable as some are. Black and Red Star are family friendly and are nice because you can tell if they're male or female from the time the hatch (red star are female, black star are male).

Anyone else have chicks in the bator? 28 Jan 2014 06:50 #915

• tracey_p
  • chicken addict
Channahs wrote:
I just love lock-down! Once it hits day 18, my nose stays planted on the incubator window. I've had them hatch on day 19, so I always get so excited. Bantams sometimes tend to hatch earlier, but every bird and their genes are different. Good luck! I hope you'll post pictures! I hope you get some frizzles.

11 more days for me. Or if I'm lucky, only 9 :woohoo:

I thought you were closer than that. :S I find myself with a flashlight looking to see if there are any pips all the time! I've been trying to stay ahead on my work (I do custom embroidery) so that I can spend all my time at the incubator once they start hatching. I don't get ANYTHING done once they start hatching - and my daughter and grand daughter will be over here watching and waiting with me. My grand daughter asked me to pick her up from school today - she's hoping some will hatch early while she's here. (I'm hoping the same thing.). Woo hoo! :) :side: :silly:

I will be sure to post pictures.

Anyone else have chicks in the bator? 28 Jan 2014 07:17 #916

• Channahs
  • Runs with Scissors
  • Good Job(s): 3
My husband and I have been working out of our home for the last three years, we are League Operators for the American Poolplayer's Assoc. now, but before this, I worked in a law office. Then, when my incubator went into lockdown, I would put a webcam on it and keep it up all day at work....watching....waiting. LOL :blush:

Anyone else have chicks in the bator? 28 Jan 2014 11:17 #922

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
  • Good Job(s): 108
Ha ha ha!! I love it:) I would've done the very same thing!
He who has a glass house should not cast stones...

Anyone else have chicks in the bator? 29 Jan 2014 14:36 #933

• tracey_p
  • chicken addict
2 eggs have pipped. It's day 20. I love listening to their little cheep cheep from inside the egg. It won't be long before I can post some pictures (hopefully).

Moderators: MKK-FARMS