Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Anyone have guineas?

Anyone have guineas? 17 May 2014 01:22 #1253

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
  • Good Job(s): 108
I did not get one because they seem to be loud but these almost look like beautiful vultures:) Ha ha ha!!
He who has a glass house should not cast stones...
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Anyone have guineas? 17 May 2014 18:22 #1259

• mat2dong
  • ~ Holy Cow! ~
  • ADMIN
Wow! Great looking guinea!

Anyone have guineas? 10 Jun 2014 21:13 #1541

• MommaGerry
  • Gerry
  • Good Job(s): 1
I love this one!! So pretty!!!
I can do ALL THINGS through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13

Anyone have guineas? 10 Jun 2014 21:26 #1542

• MommaGerry
  • Gerry
We have lived here east of Lawton, OK for 12 years and have almost always had guineas in the same chicken house as our chickens. There have been a couple of summers that we were wiped out of all poultry and had to start over. But since we are out in the country the noise isn't bad. And we very seldom find ticks. This year is bad so far because we only have one guinea doing the job. We lost all of them but him 2 years ago and couldn't find any for sale around here till now. But this year I hatched my own. I have 15 keets in the brood house right now. Along with 7 chicks. When they are old enough I will turn them out with the other chickens and they will roost in the big chicken house with all the chickens. I let them freerange and they go to roost at night. Right now my one male guinea is pairing up with my legbar hen. He follows her and keeps watch over her while the roo keeps watch over all the rest. The guinea used to chase the roo, but now the roo chases the guinea at times. But they still stay in the same house. They get along well enough and know where the safest place to be. They get locked up every night and if I don't open the door soon enough in the morning, they can get loud. But they are one big happy family.
I can do ALL THINGS through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13
Good Job(s) from: rsmith

Anyone have guineas? 21 Aug 2014 18:54 #2198

• gypsyrain
  • Wife, Mother, Daughter of God, AKA Gypsy Rain
Okay, I hope some out there can give me some tips and advice. I have 15 chickens, 7 cats, 2 ducks and 1 rabbit. I have had cats all my life and know as much about them as I probably ever will, then again, who knows. I have three chicken books I have read from cover to cover and cover to cover again. And, still refer to them regularly. I have one duck book that I have also read cover to cover, although I thought I would never get through that chapter on DNA (Boring stuff when you really aren't looking to breed). My daughter has told me a little about how to care for her baby and we follow her instructions to the letter (and I am STILL waiting for her to bring me a book on rabbits....if I have to buy it, guess who owns the rabbit!).
Now for the advice part. We just got home with 4 baby guineas (or keets as I have learned). We really tried to pick the brains of the breeders and they are family friends so I can ask them for help anytime I want, however - as you may have guessed - I really would like a guide for raising guineas to reference so I don't have to pester this sweet family every time something new occurs. So, with that being said, I would love any and all advice you may have from experience on raising guineas and if anyone knows of some reliable websites and/or forums, groups, or books etc, please let me know. I really appreciate this.

I picked up guineas because I heard they were as good as a guard dog when it comes to something being in the yard and since we lost two precious hens a couple of weeks back, I am looking for all the guarding I can get. I know these little babies aren't up to task just yet since they are only a week old, but when they are this cute - that doesn't matter.
~Mistie
  • Page:

Moderators: MKK-FARMS