Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Anyone have guineas?

Anyone have guineas? 03 May 2014 13:36 #1132

• rsmith
  • Good Job(s): 10
I was thinking of getting a few guineas to help with bugs, ticks, pests, and possibly help protect chickens from predators. Does anyone have any and have any tips on how to raise them? Do they need a similar coop as chickens? Also, do they tolerate cold winters?
Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances...
Last Edit: 03 May 2014 13:37 by rsmith.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Anyone have guineas? 03 May 2014 16:37 #1133

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
  • Good Job(s): 108
Hi and welcome to the new website rsmith:)

I do not have any but I have looked into it a bit and this is what I know. They are great at taking care of nearly all pest that you would have around your homestead! They eat up ticks like crazy and that to me is a great reason to have them.

They can live in a coop that is a bit smaller. A good rule of tube is 2' - 3' per guinea where chickens are 4' per chicken.

They can take what chickens take when it comes to weather:)

TIPS:

When they are young they can fly so if you do not plan on free ranging them be sure to cover there pin. When just a little older they can fly about 400' to 500'!

Keep males separated from rooster. A male guinea will chase off roosters from the food. Totally different story if you free range them:) They get a chance to spread there wings so to speak and are happy little birds.

Why are you wanting to raise them? Eggs? Meat? Pest control? What one are you wanting to get? FUN!!

Matt
He who has a glass house should not cast stones...

Anyone have guineas? 03 May 2014 16:43 #1134

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
I love the looks of Vulturine Guineafowl! They got some good color:)

1_2014-05-03.jpg

2.jpg

Anyone have guineas? 03 May 2014 17:43 #1135

• rsmith
I mostly want them for pest control and to scare off any unwanted rodents. I hear they are noisy birds! I do not really want eggs or meat from them...just to eat the bugs and ticks. I have been looking at the pearl ones. I was trying to find out if there were certain ones that tolerate the cold weather better than others.

Anyone have guineas? 03 May 2014 17:48 #1136

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
They are great for killing ticks! If you can I would get a few cats to take care of the rats/mice. Just raise them half outside and half inside:)

I sent you a private message on here.

Matt

Anyone have guineas? 03 May 2014 19:30 #1138

• tracey_p
  • chicken addict
  • Good Job(s): 7
We had them for several months. It was a choice between the guineas and my sanity so we got rid of them. They are incredibly noisy, especially when they're young. Our chickens take care of all our insect problems, and we're getting additional cats to take care of rats, mice, and snakes. :lol:
I have 7 silkie hens, 1 silkie roo,2 naked neck silkies, 1 frizzled silkie cockerel, 1 frizzled silkie pullet, 1 cochin, 1 frizzled cochin cockerel, 1 frizzled cochin pullet, and 8 polish pullets.

Anyone have guineas? 03 May 2014 19:46 #1139

• HFI_Matt
  • ~ Humble Servant ~
  • ADMIN
That is why I did not get a guinea tracey:) I have limited amount of space so I do not know if that was a factor for you?

Anyone have guineas? 03 May 2014 20:41 #1140

• tracey_p
  • chicken addict
  • Good Job(s): 7
No, we have 12 acres Matt. But they wouldn't leave the chickens' sides and the chickens love to be in the back yard when they're not free ranging so they can beg for food at any time (since they believe that they're starving to death). Spoiled chickens (and now ducks too). LOL.

FYI, rsmith, we have an indoor / outdoor cat who never wears a flea collar and we have never found a flea or tick on her (thanks to the chickens). She regularly gives us "gifts" (at the back door)of small rabbits (which horrified my poor grand daughter), :( mice, moles, etc. Just my opinion, but I'd stick with chickens & add some cats. :D
I have 7 silkie hens, 1 silkie roo,2 naked neck silkies, 1 frizzled silkie cockerel, 1 frizzled silkie pullet, 1 cochin, 1 frizzled cochin cockerel, 1 frizzled cochin pullet, and 8 polish pullets.

Anyone have guineas? 16 May 2014 20:00 #1249

• rsmith
We do have 1 outdoor cat and she is a great hunter. She is afraid of the chickens...haha. We are new to the chickens. Just got them in January. In the last few days I have seen them scratching around in the wood line of our yard. We have a BIG problem with the big black ants. We have seen a few ticks, but not many. I hope the chickens will feast on the ants! I just found out that 2 of our neighbors have guineas. So maybe they are keeping the tick population down. And that may answer my question to the irritating noises I hear once in awhile!

Anyone have guineas? 16 May 2014 20:20 #1250

• MKK-FARMS
HFI_Matt wrote:
I love the looks of Vulturine Guineafowl! They got some good color:)

1_2014-05-03.jpg

2.jpg

They are beautiful! :)
  • Page:

Moderators: MKK-FARMS